Xmas golf pressie for learner

sun_sparks

My other half has expressed an interest in learning to play golf. Ostensibly, this is to "get more exercise", but personally I think it's to play with the big boys and with an eye to networking.

Whatever the reason, he has suggested getting a golf club set for beginners for Christmas. I was wondering whether I could get advice from golfers on AAM re:

1. Starter golf sets - any recommendations or good places to shop?

2. Lessons - are these expensive, worthwhile? Maybe an introductory course?

Ta!

Take your OH to a good golf shop or preferably a golf professional at a golf course. A good pro will measure his height, swing speed and other characteristics and make sure he has suitable clubs. The pro will also be the guy to talk to about lessons, which are a very good investment for any budding golfer.

Agree a good pro is the place to go but i did see this at the Celbridge driving range. It look like its a course for beginners. Brings them thru the rules as well as just lessons. might be worth checking out before you buy him a set of clubs.AS i said i have no first hand experience of it.

Elm green golf course near castleknock does lessons, i think i paid circa 150 for 6 lessons - not for me, so i can't say how good they were, but the recipient thought they were useful. It's probably best to get lessons first, no point in going off buying expensive equipment which is never used.

go on ebay - lots of like new 2nd hand golf clubs that are like new

I'd never tell someone to buy a pricey new set as you wouldnt believe the amount of people that take it up and then stop witin 6 months

Got golf lessons for my OH last year. Most golf clubs have a professional who will provide lessons. You dont usually need golf set as they provide the clubs for lessons. Fab pressie!

I wouldn't agree with the poster that said go to a pro and get a custom fit golf clubs. They are expensive and your OH is only starting (might not even like the game).

If your OH is of average hight and average build then most starter sets available at any golf shop would do. (In Dublin, Nevada Bobs, McGurks). The difference in price is best spent on lessons. If you learn bad habits when starting it is very hard to "retrain" yourself. Like most games the odds of you taking it up are greatly increased if you can play to a reasonable standard.

Heatons are very good for golf stuff from Golf sets (thats where my boyfriend got his ) to the clothes and shoes and the wet gear

Heatons?
Are you having a laugh?!
Aesop was right...a real golf store like Nevada Bobs where you'll get proper advice is your best bet. Custom fitting is only worthwhile after he is sure he wants to continue playing the game. You'll get a good starter set(woods, irons, putter and bag) for about €199. Starter sets are not custom fit.

Heatons?
Are you having a laugh?!
Aesop was right...a real golf store like Nevada Bobs where you'll get proper advice is your best bet. Custom fitting is only worthwhile after he is sure he wants to continue playing the game. You'll get a good starter set(woods, irons, putter and bag) for about €199. Starter sets are not custom fit.

I wouldn't bother with a starter set TBH....if he takes it up he'll end up buying a "real" set within 18 months...better to get a good set of 2nd hand irons & a 2nd hand driver to get started. Have a look for Mizuno MX17s - used to be 600 new but recently down to 399 new...great clubs and they should be v cheap 2nd hand.

Don't forget ebay either...some great deals there.

Firefly.

my advice is not to buy clubs for him unless he picks them,as what you think is good ,he may not think same.

A course of lessons would be a better gift,and I would recommend any golf professional for these,although as the previous poster said,buying clubs from most professionals is more expensive than mc guirkes

Start with a few lessons. Then get the instructor to recommend a few suitable makes and models of club for OH's size and budget, and then try them out, new or secondhand. Some clubs feel better to one golfer than others, and vice versa. Get him to choose ones that he likes from the recommendations, and remember it will be easier to sell/trade-in a recognised brand later when the time comes for an upgrade. Then try and source a good second-hand set, or new if budget permits, but I'd recommend a fairly modest purchase at this stage. E-bay has lots of bargains, but you cannot try them out for "feel" on the internet, so you must know in advance exactly what you want to buy. Remember also that most prices you see will be in sterling, and postage from UK always needs to be added on. Alternatively, you could get a comprehensive starter set for that price, but it may not suit him, and if he then wants to upgrade later when he gets more into it (and I'm sure he will!) it will have little resale value. Better to get a good set of second hands, and get them regripped if necessary, which will do for as long as necessary, and which can be traded in later. Remember that there's lots of other stuff to get too, but most of it will be acquired/replaced/upgraded over time. However the most important purchase to get right in the first place IMHO is a good set of golf shoes that fit PROPERLY and keep the feet dry. I would recommend Footjoys personally. Sorry - I could go on about this for hours!!

Last edited:
INstead of buying golf clubs, give him a e200 voucher for McGuirks, Golfworks etc and let him pick up his own set.

Also I would recommend lessons for any beginner.

As for the "Networking"? There's precious little networking going on on the golf courses, contrary to common belief.

w.r.t. Golf Shoes? Heatons are very reasonable for FOOTJOY shoes (the best). Just remember, this is Ireland and waterproof shoes are a must.

Back