Wreckless Driving Report

Jane

Hi all,

I just had a very near miss on the road. Basically the guy over took me on a dangerous bend putting both my life and his own at risk. I was so annoyed. I got his details and went straight to the Garda Station. They took the details and asked if I'd be prepared to make a statement, to which I said yes.

If this goes to court, will I be asked to give evidence in front of the accused? It's a small town and I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks.

I've been in your position, a number of years ago. See my post on this thread for info on expenses.

It will be up to the local Garda Superintendent as to whether to prosecute or not. If there are no other witnesses, s/he will decide on the basis of the statements - assuming the other party does make a statement - they may not.

If it does go to court, you may be approached by the Super regarding a reduced plea. My case went to appeal and, second time round, his counsel made a plea, through the Super, for agreement on a reduced charge. I agreed - in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have, but I wasn't expecting the approach.

Nevertheless, in the initial case, I had to give evidence under cross-examination. Be prepared for the other parties solicitor to do everything to undermine your evidence - it's their job to do so. If it does come to court, refamiliarise yourself with that particular stretch of road and note any changes since. The other parties solr/engineer/whatever will do this anyway.

In my case, during the initial hearing, the "plonker" started argueing (gave the impression he thought that they were thick!:D) with both the Super and the judge. Afterwards a Garda told me that, on the way to the court, the stupid git - this guy put great emphasis in court and outside, that he was "a company director" (multinational) - had actually overtaken the Judge's car at speed, crossing a contiouous white line!:eek:

Easy for me to say, but, if the case goes ahead, then drive on! It may be a small town, but while people who drive dangerously are allowed to continue to do, our small towns will, all too often, get a little smaller.

I've been in your position, a number of years ago. See my post on this thread for info on expenses.

It will be up to the local Garda Superintendent as to whether to prosecute or not. If there are no other witnesses, s/he will decide on the basis of the statements - assuming the other party does make a statement - they may not.

If it does go to court, you may be approached by the Super regarding a reduced plea. My case went to appeal and, second time round, his counsel made a plea, through the Super, for agreement on a reduced charge. I agreed - in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have, but I wasn't expecting the approach.

Nevertheless, in the initial case, I had to give evidence under cross-examination. Be prepared for the other parties solicitor to do everything to undermine your evidence - it's their job to do so. If it does come to court, refamiliarise yourself with that particular stretch of road and note any changes since. The other parties solr/engineer/whatever will do this anyway.

In my case, during the initial hearing, the "plonker" started argueing (gave the impression he thought that they were thick!:D) with both the Super and the judge. Afterwards a Garda told me that, on the way to the court, the stupid git - this guy put great emphasis in court and outside, that he was "a company director" (multinational) - had actually overtaken the Judge's car at speed, crossing a contiouous white line!:eek:

Easy for me to say, but, if the case goes ahead, then drive on! It may be a small town, but while people who drive dangerously are allowed to continue to do, our small towns will, all too often, get a little smaller.

Thanks for the feedback on your experience. I'll wait for the Gardai to contact me regarding the statement and I'll make a decision then. Obviously based on who this guy is and whether he's done this before, etc.

It really is a hard call because it's a tiny town and there's even a good chance I know this guy. If it turns out that he's a bit of a loo laa, then I may not pursue it. As much as I'd like to do the right thing, I also don't want to open up years of abuse.

Thanks again.

It's realy hard to remain Wreckless with so many Reckless drivers about!

Thanks for that "helpful" contribution. I'm sure your English teacher is very proud. However, I was a little preoccupied when I posted this last night, so you'll forgive my spelling error.

Back