Would we get JA?

L

LSB

I have read above key posts but wonder if anyone can advise further.

Situation is husband is self-employed. Think he going to cease as he is tradesman as no work for last few months & last year profit just under 10k and this year will be non existant. if stays trading will just incur more debt of accountant fees, prelim & IT, advertising, insurance, registration etc. Also having to pay for part-time childcare (mornings) while so he is available to work.

He worked as PAYE for 15 years but ceased in March 2006 to be stay at home dad for 12 months, then commenced self employed so don't think has enough Class A now to claim in 2010.

I currently work & earn 32,000 gross.
Mortgage is 850 per month.
Have 2 young children.
Have full medical card (as child bad asthmatic)

If means tested would we get anything on JA? we have no savings, property etc and if ceases as self employed balance of money in company account will clear tax bill, suppliers etc.

we are just over for FIS also!

thanks.

Be careful here. What you are saying is that your husband would cease looking for work as a tradesman but expect to get JA on the basis that he is looking for work! This won't work. He could continue as S/E and claim JA subject to the means test.

Sorry Welfartie...i may have been taken up wrong. Our/his plan to seek employment as PAYE to get away from the Class S situation ie. be actively seeking work whilst on JA as he is not someone who would sit on his behind 24 hours a day and likes to be out and earning.

I have seen 2 suitable positions today so may not have to even go on JA if one of these came about.

If he stays as S/E as I say we will incur more and more expenses so want the safety net of being an employee!

Well then, best to stay registered as S/E and apply for JA. Impossible to guess how means test would pan out so best to apply anyhow; anything he would get would be a bonus!

Back