would my wife be entitled to non/con pension

wok20

Our only income is my pension from work of 27,300 and my wife will be 66 in sepetember.She would not have worked since we married but would have about 250 prsi payments prior to that.would it be worth applying for non/cont pension as i know it is means tested and would my company pension rule it out as i will not reach my own pension age for another two years.would be thankfull for any information

Your income would be assessed as means against your wife (along with any savings or other property you may have), however there are some disregards (where not all income is counted), so it may be worthwhile applying.

Your company pension won't be counted now, but if your wife did qualify, her claim would have to be reviewed when you retire.

Thank you for youre reply we will go ahead and try,we were worried as my pension is state integrated and as i will no get pension next year it might be cut,again thank you for youre help

Not quite sure what you mean when you say your company pension is "integrated". Does this mean that your a Contributory State Pension forms part of the company pension. If this is the case you can apply for a Qualified Adult payment for her.

The means test is done on her only (any property or savings she may have in her own right)

I thought the means test would look at husbands salary and savings also

Last edited:
There were some rule changes brought in about 10 years ago to recognised the problems with women who spent most of their life bringing up children. I recommend you contact the Pensions department of social welfare to find out the entitlements. They are in Sligo/Donegal.

Back