Would an accountant certify existing accounts (for mortgage application)

invest-or

I'm self-employed, sole trader, and do my own accounts.

I may wish to get a mortgage in the next year or so, for which I need accounts certified by an accountant.

If I engaged an accountant, are the likely to be willing to certify my accounts from the last few years?

I doubt it, unless they carry out an audit.

Bear in mind they are being asked to certify something they didnt prepare.

I should have mentioned that the accounts are VERY simple (a single page), I have rarely any deductible expenses, so calculating profit is really just a matter of adding up the total of the invoices I've issued. So if that's true, would there much to them doing an "audit"? Or it would be easy enough for them to re-do the accounts to their satisfaction and check they match my calculations?

I doubt it, unless they carry out an audit.

Bear in mind they are being asked to certify something they didnt prepare.

Accountant's reports for sole traders are almost without exception never audited, and always state the disclaimer that the accounts haven't been audited and are prepared based on the information & explanations provided by the client.

Somebody would be getting money for jam to redo a very simple set of accounts with an accountants report, and complete whatever type of certification template the bank uses.

Prior to online filing of returns banks used to accept the equivalent of a balancing statement from Revenue for self employed people who did their own returns which you got each year from Revenue, don't know what is produced now that it is online but there must be something similar.

AIB website says it requires:

3 years audited/trading accounts (certified by your accountant)
Confirmation of tax position from your accountant
Minimum 6 months recent bank statements not held with AIB
Minimum 6 months statements for any borrowings not held with AIB
3 years Revenue Notice of Assessment.

From [broken link removed]

Back