worth looking for a mortgage?

S

shouldknow

I’ve been working as a self-employed person since the middle of 2008. It’s been going well, and I’m now reliably clearing €4,000 a month or more. In fact, it's looking like I'll be setting up my own limited company to manage the scale of the business that's coming in. Living in the family home, I’ve been able to save, and would probably have €25,000 together by this summer. Ideally, I’d like to use this as a deposit on a house, buying with my fiancé, who is finishing college. On graduation, we have plans that she will either get a job (any job!) or work in my business.
Having looked at a few mortgage calculators, we’ve worked out that we could manage the payments on a €250,000 mortgage without being under great pressure. But would a mainstream lender touch us? A parent – with a mortgage-free house in South Dublin, but coming up to retirement at 59 – is prepared to go as a guarantor. Would that make a difference? I’d be prepared to speak to a mortgage broker to size this up, but would I be wasting my time?

I could be wrong, but most banks will look for three years of certified accounts for self-employed people.

Just keep saving for the three years you will have to wait and you'll end up with a nice, small, tidy mortgage at that stage.

Back