Worth buying dollars now for holidays next year?

marcellaf

hello,

I'm hoping to go on a family holiday to the states next year, either in April or else not until September.

With the dollar being so weak against the euro, I'm wondering if I should buy $1,500 now and hold on to it until I go next year. Does anyone think the dollar will go down even lower than $1.47 to €1? What are the possible cons of my idea?

thanks.

hello,

I'm hoping to go on a family holiday to the states next year, either in April or else not until September.

With the dollar being so weak against the euro, I'm wondering if I should buy $1,500 now and hold on to it until I go next year. Does anyone think the dollar will go down even lower than $1.47 to €1? What are the possible cons of my idea?

thanks.

If you have the cash and know you are definitely going well then buy it now as its a very good rate.

Do you know which rate it is going to be in 6 months time?
Could you please also PM the lottery number for the next draw please:)

Does anyone think the dollar will go down even lower than $1.47 to €1?
Speculation on FX rates is in my opinion as bad as speculation on the housing market and discussion of individual shares.

As the others have said, there us no way of knowing what will happen with the $ but it might be a good idea to change some of your euro to dollars now to hedge your bets

I don't think that holding €1500 in cash in any currency for a period of 6+ months is a good idea from a security point of view.

Anglo Irish Bank offer the facility to open a US dollar account if OP is concerned about security

if i were you foxylady i'd say something soon, ye dont want to be stuck on that number of posts for long:eek:

Thanks for all replies. I'm going to get approx 1,000 dollars at the current rate and wait and see after that. The current rate is very good, so I'm happy enough to go with it.

thanks.

According to some American forecasters the dollar is expected to lose more. I had planned to buy 10,000 euro's worth when it reached 1.50, now I'm not so sure, 1.60, 1.75 is possible, especialy after looking at this CNN interview.

Remember, it was just a couple of months ago when we though it wouldn't hit 1.35?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w5pSm_BLGU

It was expected last January that the dollar would hit 1.40 by the end of 2007. I'd be surprised if it went over €1.50

Please note from recent experience that Anglo Irish do not receive or pay out cash dollars on their dollar accounts, only cheques. Does anyone know if Bank of Ireland operate dollar accounts from the High Street branches and if so can one operate in cash? Have some dollars left over for next trip - one of the few more impressed with NY sights than shopping!

Would Anglo

(a) allow you to buy USD at their branch with the cheque; or
(b) issue a draft (could you then use a draft to buy USD at another bank)?

Back