Working while bankrupt

javanaise

Hi,
I'm in the process of getting started with establishing my COMI. I was wondering if I got a job with a ferry company based in the UK that travels between the two countries, how would this look to a judge? If I was paid by a UK company, had a UK address with bills, etc., and I was in the UK (Wales) for a couple of days a week, would the fact that I travelled regularly between the two countries militate against me in terms of applying for bankruptcy?

Thanks for your help.

Hi,
I'm in the process of getting started with establishing my COMI. I was wondering if I got a job with a ferry company based in the UK that travels between the two countries, how would this look to a judge? If I was paid by a UK company, had a UK address with bills, etc., and I was in the UK (Wales) for a couple of days a week, would the fact that I travelled regularly between the two countries militate against me in terms of applying for bankruptcy?

Thanks for your help.

The key here is where you return to live after each business trip. Your comi is where you come home to. if you lived say in Holyhead but worked the ferries each day and come back at night or after a trip to Holyhead. Your comi is in Wales.

Steve Thatcher
www.stevethatcher.ie

Hi Steve

I am aware about establishing a COMI over a period of 6 months in the UK however have you ever known any particular courts to make issue of the fact that you weren't in their jurisdiction for the greater part of the 6 months? I note that the wording on the petition states that.

Thanks

NM

Hi Steve

I am aware about establishing a COMI over a period of 6 months in the UK however have you ever known any particular courts to make issue of the fact that you weren't in their jurisdiction for the greater part of the 6 months? I note that the wording on the petition states that.

Thanks

NM

If you weren't in their jurisdiction, you couldn't petition. You have to be in the jurisdiction for the greater part of the last six months

Steve

If you weren't in their jurisdiction, you couldn't petition. You have to be in the jurisdiction for the greater part of the last six months

Steve

So if I was in their jurisdiction for 2 out of the last 6 months and in another part of England for the time prior to that, it is not possible to apply within that jurisdiction?

So if I was in their jurisdiction for 2 out of the last 6 months and in another part of England for the time prior to that, it is not possible to apply within that jurisdiction?

It gets complicated but you may need to go back to the first place.

An example we had a client go through recently. He lived in Oxford for over three months, he then moved to London for two months. he went back to Oxford to get his bankruptcy order

Steve Thatcher
www.stevethatcher.ie

It gets complicated but you may need to go back to the first place.

An example we had a client go through recently. He lived in Oxford for over three months, he then moved to London for two months. he went back to Oxford to get his bankruptcy order

Steve Thatcher
[broken link removed]

Thanks Steve - it appears that I was not advised properly on this at all. I really should have gone with your services but unfortunately all fees have been paid at this stage.

Much appreciated.

The key here is where you return to live after each business trip. Your comi is where you come home to. if you lived say in Holyhead but worked the ferries each day and come back at night or after a trip to Holyhead. Your comi is in Wales.

Steve Thatcher
www.stevethatcher.ie

Thanks, Steve. So what would be situation be if you ended up spending the odd night in Ireland due to ferry arrivals, etc? is that classed as a business trip? I would plan to have a place in Holyhead where I paid rent, had a rental agreement, utility bills, etc. But through work I would end up in Ireland occasionally. I guess this might be seen as suspicious?

Thanks, Steve. So what would be situation be if you ended up spending the odd night in Ireland due to ferry arrivals, etc? is that classed as a business trip? I would plan to have a place in Holyhead where I paid rent, had a rental agreement, utility bills, etc. But through work I would end up in Ireland occasionally. I guess this might be seen as suspicious?

Ask yourself where you usually live. You are establishing your habitual residence in another country what would you expect to do to achieve that. If you had to spend a night elsewhere does it alter your comi? How often would you do it. Ask yourself these questions and then think does that mean I live somewhere else.

I take people thru a process, everybody is different. The things they do are different and the way they approach this journey differs.

Sometimes tho you have to trust your own instincts. There is not a clear cut answer to every single scenario

Steve Thatcher
www.stevethatcher.ie

Back