Working from home & working weekends query

Setanta12

We've been told we're not allowed to work from home. Occasionally when a worker's child is sick or requires urgent trip to hospital (!), workers have downed tools to go home and work from home. (There would be an element of childminding for the parent at home while the OH brings sick-child wherever)

We are now being told working from home is only allowed in the rarest exceptional circumstances.

Yet it is very common to work weekends from home as unpaid overtime (about 20 weekends in 2016 where some work was done from home (perhaps sometimes minutes to send a quick email - yet other times, full-days Sat & Sun). Yet they don't mind this.

Is this sour grapes on our part, to be expected to put in the hours at nights/weekends but not allowed to work from home?

I feel it is sour grapes but would like perspective. (Finance team of MNC where OT is not measured and where there is an exacting sole-proprietor of the group)

Last edited:
Personally I think that it should work both ways. Companies need to understand that sometimes "work from home" is a necessity, especially if unpaid overtime (esp weekends) are required.

So, the crux of the matter - are some employees taking the proverbial in relation to the working from home, so almost a zero tolerance of it from the companies perspective? Is all the overtime encouraged / expected by management? Is the workload too great, which results in extra hours to get it done, goals / deliveries unattainable in normal working hours?

Flexibility goes both ways. Personally I would never work regular unpaid time particularly on weekends without either being allowed time in lieu or payment.

Time to sit down with HR and discuss.

Do you have a time recording system where you can quantify all that extra unpaid time you have done?
Deal with HR and show them this time and discuss how the lack of working from home flexibility will impact you and also the company because you are now going to have to start taking force majeure and time off for things like sick kids and so.

Its up to HR to listen and then hopefully some common ground can be found.

If you are not getting the flexibility back then you should reign in your own flexibility on unpaid weekend work.

Are you on a bonus system? Do you receive time off in lieu of your extra work? Do you receive company shares? Do you gain anything by working all the unpaid overtime? Is there anything in this for you?

If the answer is 'no' to all these questions, you are just feeding your employer's habit of using you free of charge. Then you got some chances i.e. refuse to do any extra work without reward. If you are sacked you have a case for wrongful dismissal.

Are you just an office martyr? What kind of money are you on at present? Please give a rough description of your job and perhaps we can have more insight and advise you.

Back