Working 9 to 5

Babooshka

Any help or advice appreciated. I am getting one parent family allowance. I have just been offered a full time job on minimum wage. I have read that you are still entitled to OPF allowance if you earn less than €400 per week. Does anybody know how much of the allowance I would receive whilst working minimum wage?

Also if I am on minimum wage I see that I would be entitled to FIS. Is it me that decides whether to keep some one parent family allowance or get the FIS instead? I dont know if they would work out around the same money wise and Im wondering is it simply a case of me choosing which to go for or are there rules in place?

Sorry for such a long and specific post. The job is a good one and you rise through the ranks pretty quickly but I need to figure out the money side as bizarrely it looks like I could earn more working part time! It will allow me to eventually not need welfare any more though :eek:

Re: Workin 9 to 5

How much will you be earning and how many hours working? How many children do you have?

The first €146.50 per week of gross earnings is disregarded. Half of the remainder of the gross earnings up to €400 is also disregarded. So if you earn 400 gross per week, you will have OFP deducted by 126.75.

FIS is dependent on number of kids and income (in your case the OFP payable and nett earnings) Yopu must work more than 19 hours a week. The FIS you receive is 60% of the difference between your net family income and the income limit that applies. If you have one child, the income limit is 490.

Last edited:
Re: Workin 9 to 5

Don't forget to fill up your tax form (12a) immediately you start that job and claim your One Parent Family tax credit

Good luck

Thanks guys. I have one child. The job is a 40 hour week and 18,000 per year.

Do I choose between FIS and getting some OPF payment? Is this my choice to make? I know FIS is 60% of the difference between my weekly take home and €480. I just cant get my head around the OPF thing.

You can choose which payment is most beneficial to you or a combination of both.

On my claculations OPFP works out slightly better and there are further improvements coming up in May

FIS ceiling €490 - Wages €346 = €144 @ 60% = €86.40
OPFP = €221.80 - reduction €126.75 = €95.05

Babooska - a few questions:

How long have you been getting One-Parent Family Payment because you might qualify for Back To Work Allowance if you will be working at least 20 hours a week?

Are you getting maintenance?

Are you getting Rent or Mortgage Interest Supplement from your Community Welfare Officer?

For One-Parent Family payment the first €7.60 of means is disregarded. So unless you have means from another source, that is savings/investments or maintenance, €7.60 will be disregarded. Have a look here http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw19/sw19_sect3.html#3.7

PM if you'd prefer

Hi busymam

I have been getting the allowance for 12 years. Once the little one was in school I went to college and have since worked part time and did 2 years on CE scheme. Am ready for the real world now she is in secondary school. No maintainance. I am in a local authority house and pay €20 per week rent.

Back