Working 20 hours - any advantages?

Audrey

If one works a 20 hour week are there are special advantages - for example, is one still entitled to some UB or UA, or to extra tax credits or anything like that? I ask because I seem to recall that in the "old days" there was something special about the "20 hour week".
Thank you.

UA/UB only apply if one is available for and genuinely seeking work for the hours not worked. Would this be the case in this situation?

I seem to recall something about, if you're working two days you're still entitled to three days unemployment benefit.

Clubman - No, I don't think the person in question would be able to say (honestly) that he would be available for work during the other hours.

Yes, I think that if a person works 3 days per week they can claim assistance for the other two days (but as far as I know this is means tested).

Thanks everybody

A

Yes, I think that if a person works 3 days per week they can claim assistance for the other two days (but as far as I know this is means tested).

This would only apply if the person's normal work week was reduced by their employer, due to business downturn etc. If you only ever worked the 3 days, or you asked to have your hours reduced, then it would not apply.

Are you thinking about the Family Income Supplement, Audrey? One of the conditions is that you have to be working 19 or more hours per week.

UA/UB only apply if one is available for and genuinely seeking work for the hours not worked. Would this be the case in this situation?

well, you can claim for the days you're not working, if you're working less than a certain number of days or hours, if I remember correctly.

Only if you are available for and seeking work which does not sound likely in this case.

Are you thinking about the Family Income Supplement, Audrey? One of the conditions is that you have to be working 19 or more hours per week.
Well I wasn't thinking of that, but it sounds like an idea!

Might be an idea to contact the local and discuss the benefits associated with different possible working scenarios.

Back