Worked in Public Sector, Pension Entitlements.

Darthvadar

Hello All.

My mother, who's in her mid-seventies used to work in the seventies as a Catering Assistant in a Third-Level College. She had to resign after about six or seven years due to ill health.

She now has Parkinson's Disease among other things, so her memory's not great. Hence this post.

She is certain that she was employed by the Dept. of Education, not a private company contracted to provide services. She doesn't remember if she was a member of a Pension Scheme, and doesn't remember if there were contributions deducted from her wages. I know it sounds implausible that someone doesn't remember things of such importance, but she doesn't. When I ask her she replies 'I don't know, I just got my wages'.

As I'm sure everyone realises, as an elderly, sick widow, every penny counts, and I'm wondering if there's any way to find out if she has any kind of pension entitlement, however small. Also wondering how we go about finding out about contributions made, etc.

Would appreciate any advice, please.

Thanks in advance.

Darth.

Hi Darth

I think that it is quite normal for people to forget whether they paid pension contributions etc for woman of that generation. They had a baby and that was the end of their working life so it really easy to forget!

I don't know an lot about PS pension's but some if not all collage's have their own Defined Benefit Pension. I would suggest firstly that you contact the HR department of the collage she worked and they should be able to sort this out for you and your mother.

Best of luck!

Hi Baracuda.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

That's good advice, and I'll give the college a call.

Thanks again for taking the time to engage like this.

God bless.

Darth.

Back