Word of warning - Car Insurance

D

ddelaney

Hi folks,

I got my Car insurance Renewal letter, and when I looked at it in detail I noticed that I was going to be charged for extra benefits - 'Journeywise & Legal Expenses'- There's are 2 benefits I knew nothing about and certainly never asked for. Hibernian just added it to my quote.

So make sure to check u're renewal premium and look for a breakdown...

Plus on a side note - If you add your partner (female) as a named driver to your policy you actually save money, in my case over €167??

They cannot simply add it on to your policy .You may have got it , because you did not decline it at inception.

These benefots can be handy, IF YOU NEED them. Like all insurances, they are of no use whatever, unless you dod need them!

ddelaney said:
Plus on a side note - If you add your partner (female) as a named driver to your policy you actually save money, in my case over €167??

Well known tip that, or at least i thought it was. Surprisingly it worked for us the other way around too.

Every year when my renewal quote comes up, they've added some "extra" like road side assist to it. I think it's just to try and catch the lazy people who renew automatically. If you call them up they'll remove it & give you a new quote.

tiger said:
they've added some "extra" like road side assist to it.

Having said all that (and people should always ask what extras are included/excluded before renewing), if you do want something like roadside assist, it can sometimes be cheaper to purchase it via your insurance premium than becoming a member of the AA or the RAC.

My experience of Hibernian's breakdown assist was that it was next to useless when I needed it.
If you want a recovery truck to take your car to a garage over 100 miles away from anywhere convenient to you then it is just the ticket.
If you want to wait around 5 hours and travel by Bus Eireann to a town 25 miles from where you live and then pay for a taxi to take you the rest of the way its perfect.

Needless to say I didn't avail of Hibernian's road side assistance other than paying the recovery truck they sent out to take me and my car all the way home but these recoverymen don't go easy on you when they know you are in a vulnerable position and they made sure to charge my CC an outrageous amount before they brought me home.

which is why.......
I purchased RAC breakdown cover through my company group scheme for €70 and don't insure my car with Hibernian anymore.

ddelaney said:
Hi folks,

I got my Car insurance Renewal letter, and when I looked at it in detail I noticed that I was going to be charged for extra benefits - 'Journeywise & Legal Expenses'- There's are 2 benefits I knew nothing about and certainly never asked for. Hibernian just added it to my quote.

So make sure to check u're renewal premium and look for a breakdown...

Axa do that to..add breakdown cover and legal expense cover.

We both have our own cars with fully comprehensive insurance. Hubby is with Hibernian and added me to his car insurance this year...there was no charge. I'm with Axa and when I added him to mine it cost €50.

Back