Home Wooden Floor under house Insurance Claim

tigra

Hi,
I was wondering can I get your views on this as I don't really know much about insurance policies.
Approx 3 years ago I purchased wooden floors for my living room which cost us in the aound €1,000 at the time. Since then, I took in 2 cats who over the last few months who have managed to pee on the semi solid floor about 3 times a week. The smell is so bad at this stage that I don't go into my living room anymore unless I have to. Some of the floor has also gone black with rot.
Today I went back to the shop when I purchased the floor and they told me to just put in a claim on my house insurance but don't tell them it was the cats that did the damage.
Can I ask the question: What would you do?

Thanks

So are you asking people would they break the law and put through a fraudulent claim? I think that most people will give the same answer. Did you check with your company to see if you are covered for the actual event? I know vermin damage is usually not covered but you may be able to argue your case of accidental damage from incontinent cats?? I'm sure when an assessor views the damage he/she is going to tell the real cause anyway.

www.powerinsurances.ie

That's the thing. The guy in the shop told me that the accessor will sign off the claim. He even gave me the accessors name and number.
So as a rule animal/pet damage isn't covered? That I didn't know.

I am an assessor and I would be very surprised that the claim would be covered as damage by pets is generally excluded.

Please also note that you would or people acting on your behalf would be providing fraudulent information to your insurers which could have serious consequences.

Back