Wooden Floor on Underfloor Heating

F

Floored

On a new build, I have Under Floor Heating under a concrete screed but there is no definite information out there on what type of wooden flooring I should use.

I would like to use a Walnut finished floor and I have been told that a solid floor is really not an option for UFH.

I have found a company in the UK that supply a Walnut Engineered board and they recommend to glue the board to the concrete screed with a special adhesive. They believe this will eliminate all air pockets and prevent the boards from warping/moving.

Another website recommended a special underlay to allow a floating wooden floor. I'm all confused and there is very little definite information out there.

Can someone please suggest the best proven options for a wooden floor on UFH?

The best floors for underfloor heating are laminate or "engineered multiply" not semi solid or solid. The engineered floor can be floated on a standard foam or an adhesive underlay. Do not use foil backed underlays because they cause problems with heat transfer. Engineered floors can also be bonded directly to the concrete but make sure you use a liquid dpm first if it is over concrete - anhydrite screeds should not need the liquid dpm. I do this for a living and if you would like more information send me a pm.

Hi, we have a solid ash floor on ufh, floated on elastilon. We are delighted with the outcome and have had no problems so far.I looked at the option of gluing the floor, but opted against it as the floor feels to "solid" underneath your foot. We dealt with the company importing it in Warrenpoint, Norther Ireland Wood Innovations, though they do sell thru retailers in the South, Heitons being one I think, BUT we found Wood Innovations more helpful.

PM me if you want more help. Optimistic

Back