Wood Pellet Usage?

ouch.... that can't be right (not the figures you quoted- but the setup)..... this thing is eating pellets at a ferocious rate - 4 tonnes is a years worth of pellets for a med-large size house. For the supplier to say that this is running perfectly is stretching it by all accounts. Perhaps you need to contact baxi directly - advising of this.

Poppy1 and Lastbuilders
What size boilers are you using?
I'm urrently building a 2500sf wood frame house and using rads to heat the rooms. Also have solar panels to heat water during the summer months. Plumber is stating that I will need to purchase a 40kW boiler to satisfy my heat demand. Could this be the case? From my research (talking to various boiler suppliers) I believed a 24kW boiler would have been sufficient. Don't want to end up with something that is going to eat pellets.

Oldgold.

We have a 20KW MODULATING WPB for our 2400sq foot house and it is heating no problem. In my opinion you do not need a 40kw. My brother has a 25kw for a big old house, 3000sq foot and he has no problems either. In my opinion get a modulating boiler. All the best. Optimistic

Poppy1 and Lastbuilders
What size boilers are you using?
I'm urrently building a 2500sf wood frame house and using rads to heat the rooms. Also have solar panels to heat water during the summer months. Plumber is stating that I will need to purchase a 40kW boiler to satisfy my heat demand. Could this be the case? From my research (talking to various boiler suppliers) I believed a 24kW boiler would have been sufficient. Don't want to end up with something that is going to eat pellets.

Oldgold.

hey oldgold

ours is a 15k - they reckoned with the size of the house and the amount of insulation its all we needed. im doing a daily check on our wood pellet usage so i can get an average before the summer. so far we have 2t used. we had some issues with the heating coming on a the middle of the nite due to the temp dropping but seem to have it sorted now. seems to be using 0.01 tonne of pellets per day (7hrs heating - 3hrs water). But ill post again in a few months with more accurate figures!! Its still all very new to us.

Thanks for all the responces folks,
Talked to a good few people since my original post and they all said the same, 24kW is sufficient. And that's what I'm going with. When i went back to the plumber and put this to him explaining my exact heat needs and how I would intend to heat the house, ie heat the downstairs rooms in the early evening and only have the heating come on in the bedrooms later in evening, he said a 24kW would have no problem heating the house.
He was specing the boiler size based on all the rads and hotwater coming on at the same time with thermostats set for 23 degrees downstairs and 19 upstairs. (worse case in his opinion).
If I had been putting in an oil boiler he would have never discussed the boiler size and I would have ended up with a big inefficient boiler.

I'll let you know in the next few months how I get on with this boiler

Thanks for all the responces folks,
Talked to a good few people since my original post and they all said the same, 24kW is sufficient. And that's what I'm going with. When i went back to the plumber and put this to him explaining my exact heat needs and how I would intend to heat the house, ie heat the downstairs rooms in the early evening and only have the heating come on in the bedrooms later in evening, he said a 24kW would have no problem heating the house.
He was specing the boiler size based on all the rads and hotwater coming on at the same time with thermostats set for 23 degrees downstairs and 19 upstairs. (worse case in his opinion).
If I had been putting in an oil boiler he would have never discussed the boiler size and I would have ended up with a big inefficient boiler.

I'll let you know in the next few months how I get on with this boiler
I have a 40kW WPB which is obviously too big for my house (2,200 sq ft) - I went with the plumbers advice & the suppliers didn't discourage me as they said it souldn't use any more pellets anyway. So far they are right as 3.5 tonnes hasl lasted the full year - similar to those posters with smaller boilers.

As Duffman I have a 48kwh in a 2600sq ft house also to big for house but it can easily be adjusted down.(Using about 4 tonne per year)Don't forget ceiling height when calculating heat requirement.

Just got a 30 KW wood log boiler from Austrian manufacturer ETA. Currently using 30kg of wood per day. It seems a lot to me.

We're getting about 5 hours of heat per day, plus a couple of hot showers out of it. I thought we'd get more heat from it. We have the boiler installed in an outhouse and a 1200 litre buffer tank in the house.

Does that sound right to ye?

Hey guys,

We are currently using bagged pellets for our boiler- costing a alot!!
- i see alot of you are getting deliveries of 3 tonnes- What type of storage/ hopper do ye have such a large amount of pellets?
Also the cost of the storage/ hopper!

Thanks

Back