Wondering if we can afford a baby/ Hubby Non US-Citizen

• Thread starter petitemaman
  • Start date
P

petitemaman

Hello everyone. Just looking for some advice here. My hubby and I just discovered I am pregnant, and while we are thrilled, we aren't sure we have any options because of our situation. We are a two income family, low to moderate and already know we would not be able to afford our basics on his salary alone. I plan to work as long as possible, but it is a highly stressful and physically demanding job with no options for maternity leave. I will have to quit when the time comes. We thought we might be able to get some government assistance temporarily until I could go back to work, but from what i have seen we are ineligible because my husband is a Permanent Resident Alien, but not a US Citizen. Without any sort of assistance, the three of us will not be able to live on $1500/ month. Does anyone know if I'm incorrect here? We have both worked hard all of our lives, we've played by all the rules, I hate to think that we will have to terminate our pregnancy out of desperation.

you won't get much help from this site, It's an Irish website, and while there are a number of us living in the US, your situation seems to require the help of a different type of expert.

I found a document in the link below, it may help. do not completely discard the fact that your husband is not a US citizen, some benefits are still issued especially in mixed households.

[broken link removed]

Could your husband mind your baby and you work? Have you got any relatives that could help? You will find that friends, neighbours and families are very generous when it comes to a new baby. Perhaps you could house share or share childcare with another family whose situation is similar to your own. . Terminating your pregnancy is something you would have to live with for the rest of your life. Sometimes a leap of faith is required. I wish you the very best of luck.

Back