Withdrawing from a Public Service Pension ?

Palantir_Use

I have a little over 4 years contributions (52 months) in a Public Service (Defined Benefit) Pension, contributed as a "Post-95" employee.

I was recently reviewing some paperwork, and realised that these pension contributions may not actually provide ANY payout if I leave them where they are ...

The Full penion (40 years contributions) should provide a 50% pension + a lump sum.
I would have one tenth of that - so a 5% pension ... but since the PRSI pension would exceed this value, i'm not sure it makes sense to leave the money in the Public Service pension.

Am I mistaken, or should I contact the Trustee's and arrange for it to be transferred as an AVC into my current employer's fund (or a standalone AVC)?

Cormac

First of all, your former contributions are not in any fund to be transferred.

The formula for benefits is as follows:

(years contributions)*(1/80)*(final salary - 2*OACP)

So, the issue that determines whether you will get a pension from your former employer is not the months paid in, but your gross salary in that job (or any future public sector job).

By the way, if you have moved from a public sector job, to another one, you can transfer the years service into the new pension scheme.

The formula for benefits is as follows:

(years contributions)*(1/80)*(final salary - 2*OACP)

Hi Protocol,

Are you sure that the fourmua for benefits is based on twice the COAP being deducted? I think that it is just the COAP that is deducted. Perhaps you are thinking about the formula used to calculate the employee deduction?

aj

[broken link removed]

See page 8 of the above file.

Yes, the formula for benefits uses an offset of 2*COAP.

Back