Withdrawing cash in US with AIB laser

Westie123

Hello,

I have seen recently on the web that AIB have limited the amount you can withdraw daily from US atm's to €100. During a web search, someone stated that the limit has been increased back up to €250 a day. I have just rang AIB to inquire about this and was surprised to be told that AIB have not set these daily limits, but the banks in the US have.
Does anyone know what the true situation is, and what is the daily limit for US atm withdrawals?

Thanks.

My bank in Pennsylvania allows $600 withdrawal from their ATM, not sure about non US cards though.

Not sure about the US but I was in the far east over a year ago and my AIB card would only let me take out the equivalent of about 100 euro a day but my NIB card would let me take out a lot more.

So in that case anyway the bank had some input. Even in Ireland the bank set the limits on individual cards and the limit can be raised and lowered almost immediatly.

The way the system works is when you request a withdrawal, the ATM contacts your bank to see if the transaction is authorised. The issuing bank then checks to see if it can authorise the transactions based on the daily limits set on the cards and location and if the card is blocked etc. In some cases smaller ATM's like the ones in shops limit the ammount of a transaction however an ATM that is attached to a bank would have a much higher limit. In anycase there is a limit on the number of notes that each ATM can dispense so this may cause a lower limit if there are only 10 Euro notes left in the machines.

So to summarise, Banks can control a daily limit and some ATM's for technical reasons not related to the card in use may ahve transaction limits.

In this case the AIB set the 100 Euro limit.

Back