Withdrawal from child's post office deposit account

Limerick111

Hi, my mother in law has been saving into a post office account for my daughter. Both her and my daughter are named on the account. She gave me the deposit book to withdraw money from it for my daughter's communion dress. Can I take my daughter myself to withdraw the money or does my mother in law need to come aswell? She is elderly and lives a good distance from the post office so was hoping I wouldn't have to bring her with us?
My daughter is 7 so is allowed to sign herself for the withdrawal but just wondering do they both need to be present? Thanks

I'd have to say , your mother in law may be required to be in attendance to withdraw, I'd be very surprised if a 7 year old would be permitted to withdraw even if named on the account without the named adult present but that's just a guess. Perhaps you may need to review or look at you being named on the account if that's possible, particularly if my assumption is correct and your mother in law has difficulty attending the PO .

I'd have to say , your mother in law may be required to be in attendance to withdraw, I'd be very surprised if a 7 year old would be permitted to withdraw even if named on the account without the named adult present but that's just a guess. Perhaps you may need to review or look at you being named on the account if that's possible, particularly if my assumption is correct and your mother in law has difficulty attending the PO .
Thanks for your reply. I'm getting conflicting information online alright. In their t&C's it states that a child aged 7 or over may access their savings account but it doesn't stipulate who needs to co-sign or any other details. I may ring them tomorrow and see if I can arrange transport for my mother in law if needs be.

Look at the bottom of the 1st page in the book .and if the bottom section *special joint accounts* is stamped and dated only one person is needed to withdraw funds from what I remember.

Thanks for your reply. I'm getting conflicting information online alright. In their t&C's it states that a child aged 7 or over may access their savings account but it doesn't stipulate who needs to co-sign or any other details. I may ring them tomorrow and see if I can arrange transport for my mother in law if needs be.
I'm just assuming a 7 year old would need an adult present, it may not have to be the named adult on the account , Tesla Tim mentions one person required but I'm assuming that's referring to account holders of a certain age, there's also the question of ID to consider etc. Maybe just pop into your local PO, who may know you and enquire.

Back