Wintering in Spain - Cadiz ?

Deiseblue

I'm heading to Spain for the winter , spending the bulk of time in Seville.
I was thinking of spending a few weeks in Cadiz , has anybody been & would you recommend it ?

I was only there for a day and I thought Cadiz was fantastic.

Last edited:
Beautiful city and region with great beaches. Can be WINDY. Some coastal areas over-developed. Tourism is predominantly Spanish, mainly from Seville area.

Paid & Riya99 , thanks for your help.
I've bitten the bullet & taken an apartment for 2 weeks.

Friends go there all the time and love it. Drop over to Granada and Cordoba whilst yer down there!

Plan is to leave on the 8th October , take in Malaga , Seville & Cadiz reurning in time for Christmas .
I'll certainly give updates as I go along..

Sounds good. Are you holding on to the Seville apartment while renting the other one out in Cadiz? I have thought of renting an apartment long term but travelling to other areas and spending a few nights in a hotel as I go, but all the while holding on to the original apartment.
We are also looking at flying in to Seville and slowly make our way to Santander, seeing various destinations en route and fly out of Santander.
Not sure which to do.

We are renting the apartments in the three cities via Airbnb & plan trips to Granada , Ronda & Córdoba from Seville staying for a day or two in each in hotels.
Our plan is to spend the bulk of our time in Seville , it's a great city with great food , great architecture & museums & two La Liga teams .
Your idea of flying to Seville & travelling to Santander slowly is a great one.

Hi Deise,

Sounds really fab - I've always wanted to spend time in Seville for some reason so I will be following your exploits!

Enjoy and have a Rioja for me!
Firefly.

hey Deise, are you in Spain? Those who dream of following you, would like updates!

Flew into Malaga on the 8th Nov , spent 4 nights in the basic Carlos V hotel just beside the roman amphitheatre & the Albacayza city walls , nice city with 2 great museums - the Carmen Thyssen & the Picasso & a brilliant beach/port area & a selection of great restaurants - La Gueno , El Pimpi ( featuring photos of famous customers - Sean Connery , Michael Laudrup , Antonio Banderas who is a local lad ).
The ubiquitous Irish bars are everywhere, caught the Moldova Ireland game in O Neills the largest.
They love their sweet red wine here Pedro Ximenex & fried fish & black pudding toasted sandwiches.
Travelled to Seville on the MD ( medium distance) train on the 12 th takes 2 1/2 hours & met our Air bnb host at the apartment.
It's quite spectacular, a corner 2 bedroomed affair at the junction of 5 streets , high ceilings , must be 15 feet , 5 balconies & access to a roof terrace , a single bathroom with shower , washing machine , 4 ringed cooker without an oven , microwave, dishwasher & plenty plates , cutlery etc - we're really happy with the place.
The location is brilliant, 5 minutes from the Cathedral & mere steps to the Plaza de la Alfalfa which houses numerous restaurants -Gran Tinto , Bar Manola & Alambique are where we've eaten to date with the latter being our favourite in the Area , we ate there last night outside & watched every kid in the area playing football in the square , the only thing we had to worry about was the odd stray ball.
We has 2 dry sherries , a bottle of Barbadillo wine , Supreme of hake , prawn twisters & fried tuna ravioli for a grand total of €40 , I had an extremely large gin & tonic on the way home for €5.
It appears to me that the relatively cheap cost of food & drink means that the bars & restaurants are always busy.
We also lunched at Brunhildas tapas , probably the best food I've eaten in years - always packed thanks to trip advisor, what is it with Asian people taking photos of their food ?.
Went to Real Betis v Real Madrid last Sunday , too one sided to be considered a great game with Madrid winning 6-1 .It was great to see Ronaldo and Bale live & too appreciate what talented athletes they are but the best player on the pitch was Marcelo & the 4th goal was a thing of beauty.
The stewarding was appalling & finding our seats was frustrating taking about 20 minutes - the numbering of the streets was possibly conceived by a 4 year old , one poor Japanese guy spent an least an hour looking for his seat before my wife said she couldn't watch the guy struggle past us again , she took his ticket off him & found him his seat.
Off to Seville who are 3rd & A Madrid 1st tomorrow , totally sold out.
If anyone has specific questions please ask.

Do you have good WiFi and English TV channels? I think that I would need these if staying away for a long period. I am not the type that could eat out every night.

Deiseblue any chance you could give us numbers on cost of accommodation flights etc.

What you did in relation to your Irish property.

The weather.

I'd love to do Nov to Feb, back for Xmas etc. I hate the winter.

Do you not mind staying in different places. Seems too much packing to me.

Do you just have one suitcase of clothes with you.

You'll save on heating bills.

You'll extend your life as warmer climes are more conducive to this. As is the Mediterranean diet.

November, December, January, February and probably March you could rent a 2 bedroom apartment in a decent location in a good resort for €550 per month. Add in around €100 per month for electricity. The landlord usually takes up the tab on the other utilities. Broadband is available nearly everywhere. The further south you go in Spain the warmer it gets. Cost of living is cheaper there too. You can get cheaper, but know your location.

In response to the queries raised :
Yes , excellent Wi Fi , Spanish TV now operates a system whereby you can watch in the original language - films , American series & documentaries .
Not much of interest on to be honest apart from " Say yes to the dress "!
Netflix works perfectly & I've hooked it up to the TV with a chrome cast I brought with me .
In terms of the costs - our flights were €140 each , the hotel in Malaga was €58 a night , the Apartment in Seville is € 78 per night & the apartment in Cadiz is € 64 per night.
We brought 2 medium sized suitcases & 2 carry ons which are easily transportable & with a washing machine provided we have all we need.
As for our Irish property I set the alarm & pulled the door after me.
Got a ticket for Sevilla C F v Barcelona today which has put me in excellent form.

Thanks for your insights very useful!!
re your Irish property
no one looking in on it ?
What about heat ? Water turned off ?
Insurance ?
Post ?
Main issue IMHO

Yes , my wife's sister lives 50 yards away so checks in regularly & the neighbours are great.
To be honest I don't worry about the rest.

Back