Wine for wedding.

Dman

Hi
I'm getting married early next year and currently looking into buying the wine for the wedding.
Luckily our hotel will let us bring our own wine, although of course will charge us for the pleasure of openinng it.
I'm thinking of heading up the north after Christmas to buy it? Is there good savings to be had?
Or would I be better off getting it in a discount wine shop down here? Or off the net?
Anyone been in simlair situation?
Any advice greatly appericated.

If it was me i'd go to France and buy it. As long as you bring proof that you are getting married and thats what it is for then customs should leave you alone! (i am told)

I think you would be better off buying in Aldi or Lilde than up the north. Even a cheap bottle of wine will cost you £2.00 thats €3.00 (approx) and you still have to get up there i.e. Petrol etc etc

France may not be worthwhile for the amount of wine you will need (half a bottle per person) unless you want to also stock up for yourself ;)

We bought ours from Superquinn - nice Ozzie stuff for about a fiver a bottle.

Make sure you haggle with the hotel on corkage...we got them down from 13 to 10 euro per bottle

Firefly.

hi dman

congratulations on your impending wedding and I hope you have a lovely day.

Have you tried these guys - www.thewinebuff.com?
they're excellent, give a 10% discount for weddings, tastings, deliver to hotel, prices start at about €9, all old world wines, some lovely french ones, and they have excellent customer service.

I have no connection other than being a very satisfied customer!

Enjoy the next few months of planning!

I would suggest you took a look at Sainsbury's in Newry.

We supplied our wedding wine from here and estimate that, taking into consideration corkage, we saved in or around €800 in total.
My husband gave the supermarket a call to discuss options with them beforehand and they sent him out leaflets detailing what they stocked. They were very helpful - even pointing out the screw top wines in case we hadn't noticed (which we hadn't!) They have a huge selection of very reliable and well regarded brands in all price ranges.
We got around 150 bottles in total I think and we transported them in two trips - one for the red and the other for the white. It also meant that we were able to spread the cost of the wine over 2 months rather than all in one go.

Watch out for supermarket promotions. Tesco, Dunnes & Superquinn often have special offers on wines. Superquinn have a permanent offer of 5% off when you buy 6 bottles or more.

We bought our wine in Tesco while they were having an Australian wines promotion and saved 20%...worked out less than €7 a bottle....plus clubcard points.

Haggle with the hotel re the corkage. We got ours down from €12 to €10....and tell them to open the wine as needed as some hotels open the lot and some of it goes to waste.

I take it the smiley relates to the half bottle per person, Firefly!

Not really...it would relate to the 200 bottles I have stashed in my shed from my recent Roscoff run :D

Echoing an earlier posting...congrads and best wishes on your big day!

Firefly.

Interesting thread. I'm getting married next year and would like to get my own wine but the hotel only allows its own wine to be consumed. I'm going to try to persuade them to accomodate me. Anyone any tips?

We bought ours in Tesco! They had a 20% off promotion and an additional 5% of every 6 bottles of wine. Bought Wyndham Bin 555 which usually retails for about €10.95 worked out at about €8.32ea. It also meant we didn't have to buy full cases. If you like French wine and are also considering a champagne reception, then a trip to France def. pays off!

When planning a wedding, what is the red/white wine ratio these days
and also how much wine should you allow to allocate per guest?

Back