Wine for wedding

S

sullyck

Was considering heading to the north for wine for my wedding. Would prefer to spend the money in the republic but money is tighter than ever so any suggestions north or south of the border would be greatly appreciated

When is your wedding. Summer weddings you need more white than red for starters. How many? How much wine are you budgeting per guest? Do you know your guests wine tastes?

Personally I found that I've recently outgrown Sauvignon Blancs so I would drink a Pinot Grigio if drinking white and a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Syrah if drinking red.

Chardonnay and Merlot are usually the most common special offers but they I can't stand either.

You would want to ask your hotel about corkage charges. They will mage a charge for each bottle of wine you use on their premises.

they aer charging 10 euro s per bottle wedding is in june and there is going to be around 150- 170 people at the wedding was thinking 100 white and 50 red. hoping to haggle over the corkage price

Ring wine sellers directly, OBriens, Cellars or http://www.wineonline.ie/ etc, get a deal on the wine and also agree you can return unopened wine.

Ask them to recommend wine rather then the imbibulent AAM posters.

imbibulent

Interesting word - that neither the Oxford or Cambridge dictionaries have? The origin is clear but I've never seen this actual word.

Back to the OP - at €10 corkage wine prices in the South are going to be hefty. If you are going to buy in the South, buy it before next month's budget. Wine is almost guaranteed to be hit.

On Northern Prices, one of my favourite drink at home bottles that's €11.99 here, usually £7.99 in Sainsbury's is now on offer at £3.99 there..so shopping up North does make sense on the pricing side.

However, was Car suggested, sale or return is very useful at a wedding. 50 red does seem a little on the low side, even for a summer wedding.

Interesting word - that neither the Oxford or Cambridge dictionaries have? The origin is clear but I've never seen this actual word.

It has a carsian etymological origin. ;)

many similar cromulent efforts may be found in the AAM annals.

I am in the middle of doing the same thing now also.

Would anyone rate Hardy's Crest Cabernet Sauvignon?Am i right in thinking that this is the wine that is regularly on offer in Superquinn?

Or Trapiche Suv Blanc. Had and loved the malbec but what are argentinian sauv blancs like?

hi,

gettin married myself in june, definitely bargin wit the hotel re. corkage, they were looking for €10 a bottle off us, got em down to €5 a bottle without too much hassle. re. the wine, o'donovans offlicence in cork are offering a case (12 bottles) of little boomey, australian wine, for €60, works out at a fiver a bottle. wouldn't be big into wine myself, but its a nice light wine, easy to drink, so its in the running.

bought the wedding wine for wedding present to good friend and sourced up north.

keep it simple - follow good deals. Sav Blancs fine, definate trend now to pinot grigio - couple pound more. but can't go wrong with offers in sainsburys. Nice Spanish Navara Red wine on offer at 3.99 at minute.

can't remember the offer on the whites, but its a no brainer.

At a wedding in Cork lately - hotel dropped the corkage cost to €3 a bottle!! A hotel that recoginises changed times - well done to them!!!

they aer charging 10 euro s per bottle wedding is in june and there is going to be around 150- 170 people at the wedding was thinking 100 white and 50 red. hoping to haggle over the corkage price

Jeepers that alot of wine; 150 bottles. I would have thought you'd allocate 1 bottle per every two guests... As for the corkage some hotels are doing free corkage now so use that fact in your negotiation.

I'm getting married in Nov with 160 people coming and i'm only getting 70 white and 30 red of wine.

Back