Wills - percentage of estate between siblings

bambam

I would appreciate if someone could clarify for me what happens

Parent passes away -

(a) Intestate - estate is divided equally between children. is this correct? Are other relatives entitled to a share of the estate.

(b) Will - can a person leave all of their estate to one child or another relative of their choice making no provision or gift to some / all of their children.

There are no dependent children or surviving spouse.

Thanks

For a definitive view you should go to a solicitor . Perhaps free legal aid (FLAC) might help in this regard. However,here is a link to a document on intestacy from Lavelle Coleman Solicitors in Dublin that might clarify & inform some of the issues for you.

[broken link removed]

On point B, I recall a friend of mine involved in a case and his solicitor advised that a child left out of a will can contest it on the grounds of being unfairly treated under the succession act or something. But I strongly emphasise that this information should be clarified with proper legal advice from an appropriate legally qualified
source for a definitive opinion.

Pretty much, but if a child who has children predeceased the parent, those children take the predeceased childs share between them in an intestacy. Nobody else is entitled.
For example, if there are four children but one of them dies leaving two children (lets call him Peter), the three surviving children take a quarter each and the children of Peter take an eighth each.

In the case where there is a will, the parent can leave the property to any or none of the children, but it can be open to challenge under Section 117 of the Succession Act that the parent failed in his/her moral duty to provide for the children. Such challenges are rare due to the cost and difficulty.

Back