Will pps number be traced??

yvonkey

Hi I was just wondering how the revenue trace taxes due?? A friend of mine worked for a few months last year and did not pay taxes. She was contracting but did not register as a company as she was unsure what was required. She only worked for a few months as she needed to stop to care for her 4 children. She is married but is not in a financial situation that will allow her to pay taxes back at the moment.

She is not claiming unemployment or any other benefits.

I am just afraid that she will get fined if she does not make the correct tax returns. Her husband has her tax credits so would he be in trouble?? How exactly would the revenue trace taxes due?

Please pm with comments.

Many thanks.

If she was contracting, and the Revenue did an audit of the businesses she was contracting for, they could look into the details of their payments to her.

This could give them reason to follow up with her.

Her income should be declared on her husband's tax return and the taxes paid. If she was self-employed in 2008, the tax return and payment of tax is due by 31 October 2009.

If she received > €6,000 then they will also be returning her to Revenue on Form F46G, Return of Third Party Information and even without an audit of the principal she could be traced.

As Domo said, she should be filed on the 2008 return.

Ok thanks for that, I will pass this on to her but as I said she is not in a situation to pay at the moment.... will she be fined do you think if caught??

Thanks again :)

Ok thanks for that, I will pass this on to her but as I said she is not in a situation to pay at the moment.... will she be fined do you think if caught??

Thanks again :)

Non filing of a tax return where one was due can carry fines for the non-filing itself and, interest and penalties on unpaid tax. However the extent and application of these depends a lot on the circumstances and the Revenue official handling the case. One always stands a better chance with Revenue if one approaches them first rather than letting them catch you.

Honesty is always the best - I was forced by an ex-employer to sell my shares in the company, netting me <20k. I'd left the country for a year and got taxes back etc. so I wasn't sure where I stood tax-wise, if I had to pay more tax or what. I spoke to a revenue guy, who took all the details - and I never heard from 'em again.

Back