Will any commercial vehicle count as a "van" for BIK purposes?

SuperPad

I'm setting up a new company and want to avail of the reduced (5%) BIK on a company van. But can this be applied to any commercial vehicle? Like a Citroen C4 "van" that I looked at for example, even though it's registered as a commercial vehicle, looks like just a 3-door car with rear windows blanked out. Would this qualify as a "van" for Revenue purposes? I've read the Revenue FAQ which made me afraid that the C4 (for example) wouldn't qualify but I need to know from people's experience how strictly the rules are applied cos there's loads of similar (rear windows blacked out) commercial vehicles out there.

What with the blacked out windows?

A van does not have back seats a car does.

My brother bought a similar veichle to avail of the lower tax etc. for work. It was deemed a non-commercial veichle (it was coming in from the UK) and he ended up no better off. Not sure what the criteria were, I'll ask him.

Thanks Rob -- that's precisely the kind of thing that worried me. Please do get back to us if you have any more info.;)

Thanks Rob -- that's precisely the kind of thing that worried me. Please do get back to us if you have any more info.;)

Although not an exhaustive response, my brother was told that any vehicle which has a non-commercial equivalent, however rare, would not be categorised as a commercial vehicle. The VW Caddy, for example, is more commonly seen as a small van but is also available as a MPV, so the 'van' version wouldn't be a commercial. That's what he was told anyway.

Bad luck.
Bad enough as it was though, imagine if he'd been able to use it for a year expecting to pay BIK tax on 5% of original value only to find it should be 30% ... That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Back