Wife out of work due to accident i had

celticsteven

Guys just looking for a small bit of advice. I had an accident about a year ago and have had 7 operations and am facing more quite soon. Basically my wife has had to come out of work due to the whole stress of whats going on, and i'm in the hospital at least 3 times a week and i need her to get me there and back, i'm inmobile due to the accident. I have seen a solicitor regarding my accident and she is happy to take it on, my main question is, now my wife has had to come out sick from work, is there an option there for her to seek compensation too, she had no option but to come out of work as we have young kids too and i can't mind them because i can't walk. Thanks for any advice.

I haven't ran it by her yet to be honest with you, its only now we are starting to feel the pinch, my wife is out of pocket now with no wages and only getting illness benefit, and as things go on its going to get tougher as i'm looking at a very long road for recovery, i was just putting it out there to see what our options are. Thanks for any advice

If you are awarded compensation for the injury, I would assume that it would cover the cost of medical care. If, on medical advice, you hired a nurse to look after you during that period, you would be able to claim for that.

You will get compensation for loss of your own earnings.

If you are making a resonable claim that the cost of your wife to look after you is less than the cost of a nurse or a taxi, then you may well get that.

You won't get compensation for the costs of child care.

You won't get compensation for your wife's loss of earnings as such.

You won't get compensation for your wife's inability to work due to the stress of your accident.

This information on loss of consortium from lawreform.ie may be of interest.
From part of it:
"Whilst it is clear that a husband has a right of action in respect of loss of consortium resulting from wrongful injury to his wife, the question whether a wife may sue in respect of loss of consortium resulting from injury to her husband has not so far been determined in this country."

Thanks for that Brendan and TreeTiger some excellent information there, I'm going to run it by my solicitor next week to see what she thinks. Its not something we thought of before but the reason she has lost her income is me and my accident, will check back and let you know what my solicitor says as i'm sure you will be interested due to it been a grey area within the law of the land.

Thanks Steven

Back