Widows pension

vfillafan

I am a UK citizen living and working in Ireland for nearly 20 years. I am currently 64 years old and coming up to retirement. My Irish wife is already retired and is receiving a full Irish State pension. I know that I will get a full Irish state pension when I reach 66 and also I am entitled to a UK pension too so we should be comfortable.

The question I have is, what will my wife be entitled to if I should die after retirement in July 2023 ? Is she entitled to a widows pension from the UK? I am concerned that if I die before her she will be left with only the €253 a week state pension to live on.

Our mortgage has 18 months left to run (approximately €8k owing) and we each have life insurance for €185k which will end in late 2023 so if anything were to happen to us before then we would be OK but as soon as the policy ends what are our options?

I don't think the UK does a Widow's Pension any more.
When my husband died in 2017 I received a small rise in my UK State pension due to me "inheriting" some of my husband's entitlements relating to his UK earnings between 1978 and 1997.
I don't know how that would apply to your wife if she is not in receipt of her own UK state pension though.

Do you not have any UK employment pension entitlements from the time before you came to Ireland?

TYhanks for the response.

No, my wife does not have a UK pension as she has always lived in Ireland. I don't have any UK employment pensions.

I do have a personal retirement bond (PRB) with Irish life from a previous employment in Ireland. It is worth around €25k and matures in July 2022. I am not sure if I can take the funds from this so that she has a nest egg there. Unfortunately I have cancer (I was treated 4 years ago and it has recurred) so I don't know what the future holds atm.

I am currently continuing to work (4 day weeks) but dependent on my treatment plan I may have to stop. We also have savings so that is not a big issue but I don't want to be using them unless it is unavoidable.

Back