Why Is Part Of Our Location Not Visible?

Discussion in 'Suggestion box' started by Lex Foutish, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Lex Foutish

Lex Foutish Frequent Poster

Hi Brendan. I've been meaning to ask about this for some time . . .

Up to about a year ago, or more, the location of those of us, who gave one, was fully visible on our posts. For example, mine is "The People's Republic of Cork" but what appears is, "The People's Re"

Have you any idea why some of our locations no longer appear?

Lex.

2. pudds

pudds Frequent Poster

yup mine is the same, something needs tweeking :)

but now were in receivership there are bigger fish to fry sadly.

3. Lex Foutish

Hi, Pudds. Do you mean that AAM is in receivership? I think they just about avoided it today with the successful dig out for Brendan! :D

Seriously though, what would be much worse is people here not being able to see the word "Cork." ;)

4. PaddyBloggit

PaddyBloggit Frequent Poster

Try P.R. of Cork!

The field for ocation is probably limited to a certain number of characters so that's probably why the most important part is cut off! :)

5. Lex Foutish

But it all used to fit before, Paddy. Maybe they just don't like us! ;)

6. gipimann

gipimann Frequent Poster

Lex,

I think that the field size was truncated to stop very long entries in the location field which led to the post-box expanding beyond the page size.

I'm sure I read a post about it some time ago - it was a deliberate change rather than a glitch.

Not to be taken as a slur against the People's Republic!!

7. Lex Foutish

Thanks, Gipi. I took a bit of a break from here for a while so maybe it was discussed during that time. (I still have my doubts, though! I reckon it's all part of a fiendish plot to keep us Southerners down!)

8. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

I don't remember truncating it.

We had to put a lot of restrictions on stuff to stop people spamming us. One trick people used was to put a link in their location. They never posted but Google found it and it enhanced the reputation of the site on whose behalf they were spamming.

You probably can't edit it anymore either. If you can, change it to Cork, or wherever you are from.

Brendan

9. Lex Foutish

Just did, Brendan, thanks.