Home Why is my boiler not covered?

• Thread starter Dog cat bird
  • Start date
D

Dog cat bird

Hi,

Yesterday morning we came down to find our celing had come down in the hallway due to a burst pipe. We called out an emergency plumber who told us that basically the bolier was caput. The pressure vessel had gone which caused the pipe to burst due to a build up of pressure on the fitting which caused the fitting to pop. Also the circuit board needs to be replaced and it is unecomical to repair. Anyway I rang Allianz and they tell me that the bolier will only be covered if it was damaged due to freezing! I dont understand this,surely it should be under contents? They said they will cover damage due to the pipe leak ie ceilings floors etc. Can anyone say if this is really the way it has gone with contents insurance?

Unfortunately they are correct, this would fall under maintenance and insurance policy are not meant to be maintenance policies. Have a look at your policy (the buildings section) and see all the causes they will cover, you won't find one that will include this. But all the resulting water damage is covered, damage to the walls, ceilings, floors, hot press etc.

Sorry I couldn't be the bearer of better news.

Oh Well :(. Thank you Michael at least I now understand it.

Hi,

Yesterday morning we came down to find our celing had come down in the hallway due to a burst pipe. We called out an emergency plumber who told us that basically the bolier was caput. The pressure vessel had gone which caused the pipe to burst due to a build up of pressure on the fitting which caused the fitting to pop. Also the circuit board needs to be replaced and it is unecomical to repair. Anyway I rang Allianz and they tell me that the bolier will only be covered if it was damaged due to freezing! I dont understand this,surely it should be under contents? They said they will cover damage due to the pipe leak ie ceilings floors etc. Can anyone say if this is really the way it has gone with contents insurance?

Your policy will cover damage caused by an escape of water from a fixed water apparatus or pipes. A boiler is a fixed water apparatus and this is part of the buildings, rather than the contents. The policy will not cover damage to the pipe or water apparatus if the damage to this is due to any process or wear tear or deterioration. Some policies will only pay for the apparatus if the damage to this is due to frost or will simply outline that the policy will not pay for damage to the apparatus from where the water has escaped. Without knowing exactly what type of policy you have, i cannot advise you if the plumbing repairs are covered. Depending upon the policy wording and the precise cause of the bursting, your policy MAY cover for damage to the pipe under the accidental damage section of your policy.

What is covered by the policy is damage caused by the escape of water. Apart from ceilings and decorations, i would consider that the policy will extend to cover the replacement cost of the components of the boiler damaged by the escape of water, which according to your original post would include the electronic parts of the boiler. I hope that this is of help.

Back