Why I am not donating to askaboutmoney...

Importer

AAM is a great resource however.....

Brendan informed me recently in no uncertain terms that the governance of this website is founded on an Autocratic basis. Brendan decides the policy and anyone who doesn't like it can suck it up.(my words not his)

In the end of the day AAM is a community of contributors and the success or failure of the site is largely down to those contributors
I for one would like to see the policies set, with reference to the democratic views of all the community and not just one person.

Unless that changes, I would not be keen to make a financial contribution to AAM.

Brendan informed me recently in no uncertain terms that the governance of this website is founded on an Autocratic basis. Brendan decides the policy and anyone who doesn't like it can suck it up.(my words not his)

Hi Importer

As you say , your words - certainly not mine.

I treat Private Messages as private. However, as you have chosen to misquote my private messages to you, I give you my full permission to post the full exchange. .

Brendan

...In the end of the day AAM is a community of contributors and the success or failure of the site is largely down to those contributors
I for one would like to see the policies set, with reference to the democratic views of all the community and not just one person.

Unless that changes, I would not be keen to make a financial contribution to AAM.

I have no particular insight into how this site is run, but I would make a couple of contrary observations. Firstly, if someone wasn't stumping up the cash to run the basic web server infrastructure, there would be no site, end of story. Without that, there can be no content contributors, so it is the first prerequisite for the existence of the site.

Second -- and I don't know enough to make specific comments about this site, but I can make a general comment based on how I've seen many other forums run -- it's NOT a democracy nor can it be. Democracy works fine for some things -- but I bet your place of employment is not a democracy, for instance. Even if you value teamwork and cooperation, there will be somebody whose job it is to dictate how things are going to be.

Even more so on an internet forum that allows all and sundry to contribute anonymously, without some level of autocratic moderation the site will eventually fall foul of the trolls, the uninformed, the argumentative, the malicious. And, if I was to hazard a guess, I bet that the moderators here would tell you that life's too short to treat every contributor who thinks they should be running the site with kid gloves.

By way of disclaimer, I have no connection with this site. I just come here for information. This thread has actually made me think about the valuable tidbits I've picked up over the last few months ... so I might just go make a contribution. (edit: done)

Proud to support AAM

AAM is a wonderful neutral platform for hundreds of queries the average Joe/ Jane can imagine! Brendan as owner/ moderator has years of experience and should get our unified support to continue the project and perhaps suggestions/ ideas how to make it even better from the collective AAM colmmunity can be offered, including any expertise any of us might have to assist.

Let's all help to keep AAM at the top of it's game!

Best wishes to Brendan and all my fellow AAMers...

I'd gladly donate to your site if i had it spare.
I don't see a problem with one person being at the top of the chain.

'Brendan decides the policy' - Yep he does run a tight ship and has slapped my hand more than once!!.
Someone has to run the show.

The site is not run as a business and has overheads.
Where is the harm in raising the money by asking nicely from the people who use the site, often to their benefit !!

The site was worth it's weight in gold on several issues and causes I was involved with.

Put this in your pipe folks and puff on it...
Free speech and unrestricted access to vast information and resources through the web is a luxury we take for granted.
Those privilages we enjoy are monitored, edited and often outright banned in more countries than you think.
For the glue that is AAM and the resources it offers, AAM should be championed more than it is.

I don't see popup ads raising money for them or any other source of revenue anywhere.
I expect them to ask for help.

I don't know of any site that doesn't have a person (or board of directors) at the top making final decisions on everything.

As long as Brendan's house is on the line with every post that does up , I don't see how anyone can object.

At the end of the day, if someone sues AAM for some comment made it is Brendan's house on the line and no one else's. In view of that it is necessary to have rules that protect his position.

He who pays the piper calls the tune as they say.

In the real world somebody had to make the final decision.

Brendan founded the site. He ran it for many years without asking for voluntary contributions. He spends time and energy raising the profile of AAM. He gets recognition for this. So what? He deserves it.

We cannot always agree with decisions made but,that's life.

Again we need to remind ourselves about whose house may be on the line when discussions are potentially defamatory.

Marion

A great site, I am a viewer, contributor for many years and enjoy the experience, of both sides.
Continue with the good work, I will contribute when it is needed, and congratulate Brendan and all who help.
Browtal

Back