Home why does buildings sum and contents sum increase every year

kim

Hi

Just wondering why does the buildings sum and contents sum increase every year? I got my home insurance renewal this yr and the buildings sum has gone up to 214000 from 211000 last and the contents from 26000 to 27000?

Looks like your insurance in index linked so will rise by a certain percentage each year.
You can cancel this if you like.

You don't have to cancel, you can ask for insured value to be whatever you like - ajust make sure you don't undervalue the cost of rebuilding or of the contents. If you do, then in the event of a claim, the indemnity amount will be scaled back

Your indexation is there to ensure that your policy keeps account of the rise in the consumer price index or inflationary rises in the cost of builing and wages etc. Obviously this doesn't seem very necessary right now, but the danger is when people remove it, they forget to re-introduce it to the policy.

Rather than cancel the indexation, reduce the sum assured to a more realistic level at scs.ie. Recalculate the contects cover also and then revisit it in another few years.

Just remember not to be under insured. If the cover should be say €100,000 and you only have €50,000 and you had a buildings claim on the policy that amounted to €40,000, they wil only give you €20,000 as you are 50% under insured.

Indexation often ends up adding considerably to the cost of cover, but you are only ever insured for the maximum actual buildings/contents replacement amount so it's a good idea to revise it annually to ensure it meets your needs. As pj111 said, use the buildings guide at scs. For contents, there is no specific guide, but it's easy enough to do a tot around the house, (including outbuildings & garages), to get a ball-park figure, and add a few bob extra for things you missed. Underwriters often have "bands" for cover up to certain limits, ie €25K /30K etc. It might be useful to know this should you arrive at a borderline figure in your calculations. Also remember, you are looking at "replacement" value, which means as new. And remember to look at specified /unspecified all risks cover if you have it. This is for items like jewellry outside the home. This cover is often quite expensive, so only take it if you actually need it. If your lucky enough to have especially valuable items, like antiques or paintings, ensure they are specified under contents. This doesn't usually cost anything, but its very helpful in the event of a claim.

Last edited:
Is the amount of buildings rebuild of the home insurance required to be a certain amount for the mortgage policy? For example is my mortgage policy dependent on me insuring the house each year at a 220k rebuild value? I ask as it seems like a very high rebuild amount for a 3 bed semi-d house and I thought it wouldn't need to be that high.

The house insurance needs to cover the rebuild costs and the mortgage provider requires this cover to protect their interests. You can check this out scs.ie for appropriate rebuilding costs. Mortgage protection insurance is different and needs to cover the amount of the mortgage. This can be based on a reducing balance. Check out your mortgage protection policy for details.

your building sum should come down as construction costs have dropped as has labour costs that makes no sense i would get a rebuilding cost check done could save you money

Your buildings sums only come down when you reduce them. An insurance company will not.

Back