why are some threads locked without comment or warning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullworth

This forum appears to be less heavily moderated so I guess my query should go here ? If its locked without comment then how am I supposed to learn anything ? I need help please in understanding how to use this forum.

(Dublin area) kitchen nook/bench corner unit of L shaped seat and table ?

I am looking in the Dublin area (or to have delivered to Dublin for a reasonable cost) something similar to the L-Shaped Bench with matching table in the link below. It's a L-shaped bench and matching table for a corner of my kitchen.

I cant seem to find anything like it on the Ikea website. It would be great if they had something similar. Anyone know where I can get such a thing ? Perhaps they can be custom built ? But the price is important. I ve seen them for sale abroad really cheaply as the link shows.

Well, I posted my query for a reason and I am still looking for this article of furniture but the thread was locked without comment.

Why do some posts get a warning comment or at least a helpful pointer about where the correct forum is while some dont' get any comment at all ? And which forum was it supposed to be in ? Locking it instead of moving it means my question will never be answered. Do we really want that sort of thing to happen to genuine queries ?

I'm still none the wiser about which forum it should have been posted in. If only I knew then I would post my question there.

Please help.

To be honest, not sure why it was closed without saying why. Usually it is because title is too vague or something but they usually tell you. Just send a message to one of the moderators and they might be able to help.

Just send a message to one of the moderators and they might be able to help.

Thanks Sunny but my subject title was the complete opposite of vague. Pound for pound it was rich with information in my humble opinion anyway.

Just send a message to one of the moderators and they might be able to help.

lol they scare me ... plus I dont know who they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
From 'Editorial Policy'

' ..... Where we have time, we explain why we edit posts, but we do not enter into discussion on our editorial decisions.'

and from 'Posting Guidelines'

22 We do not discuss moderators' decisions

1. Don't ask why a particular user was banned
  2. If you genuinely don't know which guideline you broke, then maybe you should not be posting on Askaboutmoney
  3. In very rare circumstances, where there was a genuine misunderstanding about your post, you may send a Private Message to the moderator. But we have no time to indulge people.

As it's their house the Mods can set the House Rules.

And Brendan is the Big Mod/Owner/Administrator so he can set whatever rules that he wants.

Ive expanded the title of this thread and Ive moved it to "How to use Askaboutmoney". Ive also removed a post which consisted of a personalised attack on a mod/admin. I removed a post which was a response to that post.

Im not familiar with the original post.

From 'Editorial Policy'

' ..... Where we have time, we explain why we edit posts, but we do not enter into discussion on our editorial decisions.'

and from 'Posting Guidelines'

22 We do not discuss moderators' decisions

1. Don't ask why a particular user was banned
  2. If you genuinely don't know which guideline you broke, then maybe you should not be posting on Askaboutmoney
  3. In very rare circumstances, where there was a genuine misunderstanding about your post, you may send a Private Message to the moderator. But we have no time to indulge people.

As it's their house the Mods can set the House Rules.

And Brendan is the Big Mod/Owner/Administrator so he can set whatever rules that he wants.

I hope I didn't breach any guidelines by questioning why it was closed or enquiring as to which forum it should have been posted into ? If that is the case then its a catch 22 situation lol . I just wanted to provide some hopefully useful feedback and I'd love to have that piece of furniture.

Ive also removed a post which consisted of a personalised attack on a mod/admin. I removed a post which was a response to that post.

Thanks Ajapale. I dont want personalised attacks on my thread.

Im not familiar with the original post.

Theres a link to it in the opening post. Could you perhaps as a moderator please inform as to which forum it should have been posted in so as not to have been closed ?

Harsh closing it imho.
Its a bit ambiguous. I would class suppliers as someone who supplies something that can be made into something eg blocks, wood, insulation.

This was a specific item for the home. I think if I was posting the same thread I would have done so as the original OP.
I understand the mods have a job to do though.

I'd say the post was ment to go in "recommend tradesmen & suppliers" which is a sub folder.

I can understand all modding is voluntary & it is a difficult job, but prob closed abot too quick.....I wonder why it wasn't moved

But best of luck with getting what you want

Last edited:
Recommend tradesmen and suppliers. is the correct subforum for this type of question.

Thanks ajapale. Maybe its just my perception but I am finding theres something a bit confusing about the layout or position/visibility of that subforum compared to other forums. I looked for similar posts which had been approved in order to post mine among similar queries and I did put a lot of time into considering where to post.
Is it possible my post could be unlocked and moved to the correct subforum as this post had been originally ? Even if one of the posts is closed, posting the same query twice seems to be an inelegant way of filling messageboard space .

....I wonder why it wasn't moved

t

People wonder why we don't move posts which are in the wrong forum?
I wonder why things are not put in the correct forum in the first place?

People wonder why we don't edit vague titles?
I wonder why they don't think before they post and compose a title themselves?

People even wonder why we don't edit out their bad language, rather than delete their posts?
I wonder why they use bad language in the first place.

The mods are actually very busy.

The reality is that in many cases, we do move the posts where there is some vagueness.

We do edit a lot of post titles especially for typos and spelling errors.

But we do not encourage laziness or sloppy thinking.

These are general comments and not a reflection on Bullworth's case at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back