Who pays for service when property sale falls through?

L_earner

A solicitor asked me to assemble information to satisfy MUDs enquiries, and to send it together with my fee note by return.
Several hours of work later, I emailed him all the information, plus my fee note.
The sale of the property fell through, and he has refused to pay me, saying I should go after the vendor for payment.
Is this right?

What was the nature of your contract to provide services to the solicitor?
What is your professional role in this matter?

Your agreement was with him. He should pay. If it’s recoupable from the vendor, that’s for him to pursue.

If you were the vendor, would you pay someone whose services you never sought?

What was the nature of your contract to provide services to the solicitor?
What is your professional role in this matter?
That's part of the difficulty. I am not sure there is a contract. The wording of the solicitor's letter was "we would be obliged for MUD replies together with your fee note".

I acted on behalf of the management company. I have some legal training, formerly worked as a legal secretary, and am experienced in answering MUDs enquiries. This is the first time that a sale has fallen though so this is fresh territory for me.

The wording of the solicitor's letter was "we would be obliged for MUD replies together with your fee note
Push back & make them pay you.

Solicitor contracted you to do work; they need to pay you; let them get refund from their client.

They are chancing their arm here.

If solicitor had paid PRAI for documents they wouldn't be asking prai for a refund because sale fell through!

Back