Motor Which policy should pay?

amh

Hi just a quick question, or maybe not.

My wife and I are both insure comprehensive policies. I'm also named driver on her policy and she is on mine too. I realise now that this is not necessary but that's the way it is at the moment. Both of us under our own policy are entitled to drive another car comprehensive.

Last week my wife, while driving my car was involved in a very minor bump with another car. She gave my insurance details as shown on my disc as this was the car she was driving at the time. All was reported to the out of hours insurance line and to the garda.

Yesterday when I phoned my insurance company I was told by them that they wouldn't pay anything towards fixing the other car as she was driving my car under her own policy 3rd party (they didn't realise the terms of her policy allows her to drive fully comprehensive), the other car would be fixed from her policy and if I wanted my car to be fixed it would be fixed by my policy.

Could this be correct, if she hadn't be fully comp.?

She'd lose her no claims and I would too, and she'd only be covered 3rd party even though she is a named driver on my policy, driving my car.

This seems very unreasonable.

Whilst you both may be covered, it is not the case in every policy that a spouse is covered whilst driving the other's vehicle under their own driving of other cars extension. In fact Zurich do not cover you to drive your wives vehicle under your own policy.

But back to the question at hand, she would be covered by the more specific policy - in this case her own policy. Yes her no claims bonus will affected as she was at fault. Yours will not be unless you are making a claim for damage to your own vehicle.

Are you sure you have a comprehensive driving other cars extension on both of your own policies? There is only insurer that gives this on a non-scheme basis.

under DOC NCB agreement, only ONE NCB will be affected, and that is the one of the DRIVER. The owner of the car being driven by driver, can make AD claim without affecting NCB.

Yeah but the claim will still have to be disclosed either way on the policy she is named on.

Back