Which credit card is best for a disabled dude?

S

Steven

Hi , I am currently on a disability payment from the State and i will be for a few years yet(it's permanent until I'm cured, put it that way) and I am looking to get myself a credit card.

I will be using it to buy things online almost entirely.

Whenever I've vaguely looked up getting a credit card at various bank websites they always ask on the application form about where you work. The forms do be sort of sparse so there does be nowhere to mention that i don't work but do have a regular income, and I will have a regular income for a long time to come.

Any advice on which credit card from wherever would be best for me and if me being disabled would stop me from having a card coz maybe they only give out credit cards to those who work.

Man I sound like a total novice but any friends I've asked have had no idea so inform me as best you can......

Fanks

have you a bank account at present? if so, why not ask to speak with someone there and put your case to them. I cannot see a difficulty, save that you may get a low credit limit.

I have a ...current account i think it's called with Permanent TSB.

Apply for a card through your branch then. You may get a low credit limit but once you've built up a credit history you'll find you can change cards easily if you want.

you could also look at the sites you want to buy from and see if they accept laser cards

a laser card is a bank card that lets you use it at the tills it's like a credit card only you cannot spend money that is in the account but it saves you getting to a cash machine

you can also take cash back at the tills

good luck

I know of one 20 year old student with no regular income who got a card from his own bank. You could try 3v for one-off purchases.

Charges on 3V vouchers are at least 0.86% (€5 charge on €350) and at most 25% (€5 on €20) plus the normal PTSB VISA forex charge of 1.75% on non € transactions! Don't forget that if you get a credit card you will have to pay annual stamp duty of €40. Caveat emptor.

Any advice on which credit card from wherever would be best for me and if me being disabled would stop me from having a card coz maybe they only give out credit cards to those who work.

It would depend on what your total income is. If its less than 12k a year then its very unlikely that anybody will give you a card, however a lot of people on social welfare now have total incomes that exceed the kind of income you'd get on the minimum wage, so would have a better chance of getting credit. From friend's experiences (who was also on disability), I would be pessimistic, as they wouldn't give her a laser or credit card, even though she was scamming the system by earning as much again on the black economy (which was being lodged into her bank account).

I'll talk to Permanent TSB, see what the story is and then I'll reply back here....

So watch this space....

:)

Back