Where to get home insurance for unoccupied house?

gm88

How do you get home insurance for an unoccupied house? Have been told to put tenants into house by insurance broker. (parents in nursing home and unlikely to come home). House not mine to arrange renting, prtb, etc. Now insurance co saying only fire cover unless i put in tenants. Dont want to go down that road as i have no authority to arrange lease, etc. Any suggestions?

Have you tried a broker who deals with as wide a range of underwriters as possible?

Not yet. Did that last year and drew a blank. No one wanted to know. Even the insurance co we use for our own home. Renewal in due next week and have been contacted by broker in advance. No renewal documents issued yet, which makes me think they wont renew this year. Hate to think of house with no cover.

(parents in nursing home and unlikely to come home).

Given that all sorts of situations could arise - not just house insurance - under these circumstances, you might want to look into the possibility of getting Enduring Power of Attorney so that you, and/or any other siblings, could have some control over your parent's affairs. Naturally, your parents need to be involved in this decision, but it can save a lot of hassle, depending on how things progress. (My apologies for this not being a direct reply to your question on insurance companies).

Flymask, parents are of sound mind but unable to live independently in their own home due to old age. At their age (80's) they would not like to think of their home rented out to strangers. They would like to think they will still come home, and I do not want to shatter that hope they have by putting strangers in their home.

Flymask, parents are of sound mind but unable to live independently in their own home due to old age. At their age (80's) they would not like to think of their home rented out to strangers. They would like to think they will still come home, and I do not want to shatter that hope they have by putting strangers in their home.

I fully empathise - about to be in the same situation myself very soon.

Thanks Flymask. It's not easy keeping everyone happy, but i am trying! My big mistake was contacting the insurance broker last year to inform them of the unoccupancy. Now it has become a nightmare, and if anything happens the house, guess who is to blame!!!!

Purchased my original parents home last August from my brother. [Both parents deceased] It is still unoccupied as I am renovatimg. I got it insured with Royal and Sun Alliance as they are the insurer of my main residence. I paid €267 annual premium.However they are looking for an additional premium of €300+ by Feb.next as the house is still unoccupied. I hope to let it out when renovations are complete.

Thanks Haille, will ask them for a quote on Monday. This has to be a common occurrance. My mistake was telling the insurance co., but I did feel obliged to be honest with them.

Back