Where to buy Muslin cloth for Jam making?

Mers1

Hi can anyone advise where I might get muslin cloth for straining jam? and to be a bit cheeky does anyone have a good Crab apple jelly recepie?:D

thanks

Mother care should sell muslin cloth... a recepie I can't help with :)

Hickeys sell Muslin by the yard; my mother used to use old well-washed pillow cases.

The key part of making apple jelly is to take your time over straining the stewed apple, don't squeeze or try to hurry it up or your jelly will be cloudy.

Sorry I can't help you with the crab apple jelly recipe but as you seem to be a jam maker I thought I might let you in on the secret of perfectly setting strawberry jam. Carrigeen moss will do the trick and it tastes Booooooootiful

I tried Tesco but couldn't see it, but I am a bloke and just can't focus in this environment. However, I did find it in the baby/nappy section of Poundland. Two 100% cotton muslin cloths for £1, each measuring about 18 inches square. I'm told it's also available in Mothercare. If that fails, someone told me that a clean pillow case also works very well (for jam/jelly/cordial making etc).

An old clean pillowcase. Pour pulp into it. Tie at the top, put handle of brush through knot. Balance between two chairs overnight, draining into container. Will be clear and ready for use in the morning.

Dear Moderator and everybody else,
I have a whole bunch of rose hips outside my window, and I was pulling my hair trying to figure out where to get muslin. Delighted to find this thread.
But seriously, why doesn't Darina Allen and everybody else on the public cookery scene explain that it's also used for nappies so that's where to go shopping? We are all supposed to know this, of course. Lovely forum. Thank you.

Back