Key Post Where is the best location/city to apply for bankruptcy in the UK?

Is Kingston upon Thames good to go through it?? I badly need to get back up on my feet, im just so sick of it now!!

Is Kingston upon Thames good to go through it?? I badly need to get back up on my feet, im just so sick of it now!!

Yes K-O-T is perfect.
I did two hearings in the last three weeks there. 1st one lasted 42 seconds for,€1.1m. The second lasted about three minutes, but the couple were writing off €123m.

The court are used to doing these cases. They did Shane Filan's.

It is first come first served at 9 am. Done dusted having filed papers and seen the judge and picked up the drafted order by 10.30

I am advising more and more clients to move into Surrey and around Croydon, if you establish your COMI properly it really is a simple jurisdiction to do this in.

Steve Thatcher
www.helpwithdebtuk.com

Thanks very much for getting back to me Steve. If that is the case I will just have to move there so. I just hope legislation is not brought in that could impede it, by the time I go through. The Irish government are an absolute joke and a disgrace!! I will be in contact with you if you can take my case??

Kindest regards

Does anyone else find a lawyer advocating "separating" to facilitate bankruptcy proceedings as being unethical?

Now we have posters following his lead "wink wink"
Dunno, but i cant see the difference in this and defrauding Social Welfare or Revenue?

Well I guess people are going to do this anyway, whether they get advice her on AAM or elsewhere. The problem for ordinary people is that they cannot afford to go directly to experts in Ireland, and most solicitors in Ireland would have no clue how to go about UK bankruptcy, meanwhile we're all looking at the list of wealthy developers who are already through the UK bankruptcy, with wives and familes and returning to the 'family home' and on the other side of the Atlantic we have David Drumm and the Baron of Ballsbridge spending thousands on legal fees, obscene amounts on rent, with their wives, who never seemingly worked, owning assets left right and centre. So it's very very difficult to say that ordinary people, who are now literally desparate, and we've had desparate cases on here, suicidal ones even, that they shouldn't be able to ask questions, and be informed as to what is best and what is not an option, it's not their fault that Ireland doesn't have a properly functioning bankrupcy system.

And we're now near the end of June, and no PIP's yet, AIB are writing off debt, secretly, (as was outlined to Burgess yesterday at the AGM) and the little protection people had in MARP is being completly watered down, at the banks insistence. And when we do finally get an insolvency regime, which has been written by the banks for the banks, as far as I can tell, people are going to be mighly shocked at the options they have then.

I do hear where you're coming from Sean, but one has to look at the bigger picture.

Sean this forum is full of extremely law abiding people who always paid all their tax, bought their tv licenses and have never had any run in with the law. The extreme circumstances they now find themselves in means they have to now think in a totally different way, they're not proud of it, they don't like it, they would rather not but its survival now. This isn't a forum of thieves and scoundrels looking for the way to scam or cheat even though of course it may seem like it. What you read on this page is an expression of the desperation of ordinary good people. It's not wink wink, it's hope hope.

What you read on this page is an expression of the desperation of ordinary good people.

That is in general a fair view of matters. There have been some very desperate and worried people that posted here at their wits end. My heart goes out to them.

However, there have been some people (admitedily only a few) that have posted here than can pay-but wont pay, or are looking for the ultimate soft landing from the reality of their massive debts. I hope these people are found out by the banks or the courts for the fraud they are trying to perpetrate at the expense of those that really need the writedowns/forgiveness.

Yes K-O-T is perfect.
I did two hearings in the last three weeks there.

I am advising more and more clients to move into Surrey and around Croydon, if you establish your COMI properly it really is a simple jurisdiction to do this in.

Steve Thatcher

Hi Steve,

We are thinking of coming over with the family (2 & 2) and applying for bankruptcy. I was thinking of Cardiff/Bristol/Chester - are any of them more appealing than any other. I would prefer to be closer to Wales for travelling back to Ireland (because of elderly parents).

Thanks.

Queen - just a quick heads up to say that we looked at Cardiff and Bristol too and there seems to be more work in Cardiff at the moment (Bristol is really quiet unless you are in IT and is also quite expensive.

Hi Steve,

We are thinking of coming over with the family (2 & 2) and applying for bankruptcy. I was thinking of Cardiff/Bristol/Chester - are any of them more appealing than any other. I would prefer to be closer to Wales for travelling back to Ireland (because of elderly parents).

Thanks.

I think all of these would be great. I have a number of clients settled in the Bristol jurisdication just at present and one will be going through in the next two weeks. I will update accordingly.
At present they seem to be being granted in Bristol even without seeing the Judge

Steve Thatcher
www.irishbankruptuk.ie

I can further update the site and say that I have just taken a client through this process in Nottingham. We filed the papers at 8.30 and were able to collect the bankruptcy order at 10.30 without even having to see the judge

Steve Thatcher
www.irishbankrupuk.ie

Hi Steve,
I'm new here but have read through much of it. You really are contributing a lot here. Many thanks!
I've moved to Northern Ireland and am currently solidifying my COMI. However I've recently been told that the NI courts are starting to take a bit of a tougher view of people from the south. Seemingly they are holding people up and in cases enforcing adjournment for a period of time to ensure bankrupts are committed to NI. From reading here I have the understanding that you have the right to choose and pick your area to benefit from use of laws i.e. bankruptcy. Can they take this approach or could you challenge it? If your COMI is solid, well can they refuse a petition?
Many thanks Steve.
AR

I posted recently why I am no longer taking people thru in the North. I think the Judge has got herself in a pickle and has decided she is waiting I think for further help from Europe on how to decide how to determine if someone has established a comi.
She has put all things back to september. She has discretion to apply the laws as she sees fit. I think she's wrong, but who is going to challenge her? No one has the money to do it.

Steve Thatcher
www.stevethatcher.ie

Hi Steve,
I'm new here but have read through much of it. You really are contributing a lot here. Many thanks!
I've moved to Northern Ireland and am currently solidifying my COMI. However I've recently been told that the NI courts are starting to take a bit of a tougher view of people from the south. Seemingly they are holding people up and in cases enforcing adjournment for a period of time to ensure bankrupts are committed to NI. From reading here I have the understanding that you have the right to choose and pick your area to benefit from use of laws i.e. bankruptcy. Can they take this approach or could you challenge it? If your COMI is solid, well can they refuse a petition?
Many thanks Steve.
AR

I have just had another client go through in Rhyl County Court after just a few minutes in Court. All the Judge wanted to know was if the client had taken insolvency advice.

Steve Thatcher
www.stevethatcher.ie

Many thanks for your time Steve,
Leaves me with some thinking to do, to the best of my knowledge she hasn't refused anyone, just adjourned. It'll be interesting to see in September.
Thanks again.
AR

I took a client through Bristol Court this week. Again we simply arrived with our papers and filed them at 9.30. We came back at 11.30 and the order had been made. We did not have to see the Judge.

Bristol therefore still seems to be a very good place to apply for your bankruptcy.

Steve Thatcher
www.stevethatcher.ie

Hi Steve, have you brought anyone through in Wales? If so where would you recommend? Kind regrds

Cheers for getting back to me Steve! Which court do you use if your living in Mold Wales, by any chance is it the Rhyl court? I just want to make sure!!
Kindest regards

Back