When are gains/losses to a pension fund credited/debited?

neonskyline

Hi all

I have been trying to find the answer to the above question for a few days - I appreciate that it may depend on the pension scheme, but perhaps some people might have some general insight.

I have a PRSA with Zurich which I do not contribute to anymore. I'm also a member of a standard occupational defined benefit scheme administered by WTW that i pay into monthly.

I've read the booklets for both schemes, but can't get to the bottom of a query that i have which is this (perhaps i'm not using the correct jargon).

When are gains and losses credited or debited (or perhaps capitalised is the correct word) to the value of my fund? Say for instance my investment funds is worth €50 on Sunday night. The funds is up 10% on Monday and Tuesday, but down 5% on Wednesday and Thursday. How are these gains and losses calculated and when? Is it compounded daily and credit/debited monthly or annually?

There may well be a huge gap in my knowledge here... and the above may appear like a very silly question! Apologies if so!

Most unit funds are re-priced daily. But with markets operating on an almost 24 hour basis the pricing of units tends to be 24 hours in arrears.

Back