What is CU DBI? and how does Death Benefit Insurance work?

newbie2009

Hi all,
Tried to Cut and paste a snapshot of my CU on line statement... didnt work..
Does any one know why Savings 90c, DBI 5.17 and Donation of 50c would have been debited from my account?

I seem to have rec'd shares of 3.87 also?

Thank you

Last edited:
DBI = death benefit insurance

Donation = many CUs do this, a compulsory donation from all a/c.

It's probably voted on at the AGM.

You probably can get out of paying it.

Any use?

http://www.creditunion.ie/whatweoffer/insurance/deathbenefits/

Death Benefits

Death Benefit Insurance

Introduced in 1995, the main purpose of this insurance is to provide basic life cover to credit union members at an affordable price. The cover is offered as a rider (or endorsement) to the Life Savings insurance policy. Death Benefit Insurance is underwritten by ECCU Assurance Company Limited. If a credit union decides to participate then it must include at least 50% of the eligible members.
During the life of the insured it gives the family added security and reduces worries about the future.
Many credit unions offer this cover as part of the insurance provided by the credit union.
What are the benefits?

The actual amount of insurance benefit may vary from one credit union to the other. The minimum benefit offered is €1,300 in the Republic of Ireland and £1,000stg in Northern Ireland and the maximum is €3,250/£2,500stg respectively. You should check for details of the benefit offered by your credit union.
If you are a member of a participating member, you are eligible for this insurance provided your premium has been paid and you:

• Are over 16 years of age. [broken link removed]
  • Joined the credit union before 70 years of age.
  • Remained a member of the credit union.
  • Are or have been eligible for cover under the Life Savings Policy.

Once you are covered by this policy and provided annual premiums are paid, your benefit is not affected in any way, even by illness.
What does it cost and how do I apply?

Please talk to your local credit union about this insurance for application details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
Tried to Cut and paste a snapshot of my CU on line statement... didnt work..
Does any one know why Savings 90c, DBI 5.17 and Donation of 50c would have been debited from my account?

I seem to have rec'd shares of 3.87 also?

Thank you

Savings 90c would be premium for Loan & Savings Insurance scheme. This is the Irish League backed scheme (not government guarantee). Your loan would be cleared and your savings doubled(max) if you die.
DBI: as above explanation, about€1,300 upwards depending on CU, paid out as a cash payment on death to nominee.
Donation: Most likely the CU donation to Foreign Aid via the Irish League Foundation programme to fund schemes in 6 countries, most in Africa.

Many CUs charge these direct to the expense account, others debit individual members' accounts.

Many CUs charge these direct to the expense account, others debit individual members' accounts.

That is very interesting. Does that mean that comparisons of dividends are not 'like for like' as some include all those charges and others exclude them. By charging these to the customer accounts, a better headline dividend can be provided.

That is very interesting. Does that mean that comparisons of dividends are not 'like for like' as some include all those charges and others exclude them. By charging these to the customer accounts, a better headline dividend can be provided.
And then there are also CUs who post facto refund some of the interest paid by borrowing members on loans. However I'm not sure how meaningful it is to compare CUs given that one generally only qualifies for membership (i.e. falls within the common bond) of one or maybe two?

And then there are also CUs who post facto refund some of the interest paid by borrowing members on loans. However I'm not sure how meaningful it is to compare CUs given that one generally only qualifies for membership (i.e. falls within the common bond) of one or maybe two?
I understand what you are saying but many people qualify for membership of two or more CUs, i.e. where they grew up, where they live now, a work CU or because they have moved around a bit.

In relation to the charging to members' accounts, the total amount would not be too significant, in itself, in terms of the CU's overall surplus/lask of surplus. The surplus could be a million but statutory reserves and bad debt provisions would use up most of that. Every little bit helps I suppose!

Back