What is Best deal for first time driver on Learner Permit?

suicra05

My 20 year old daughter wants to learn how to drive. She has just got her first Learner Permit. I was wondering what is the best way for me to insure her? Presently I am with Aviva and they are offering a deal if you buy a pack of driving lessons she would get 6 months accompanied driving free. I am not sure is this the best way to go. Would I be better off getting her a small car and get her his own insurance. I would appreciate any suggestions from anybody who has been through this scenario. Thanks

Best way to cover her is to get her her own car. At some point she is going to have to stomach the high premiums and may just get it out of the way now. Indo ran some article yesterday about Aviva warning of kids on parents policy where in fact the kids were the main drivers of the vehicle and tAviva not covering them as a result.

Yeah when she is learning the 6 months free cover on your policy as an additional driver is great. Once you arent paying much for the lessons with Aviva than it would cost you to add her for 6 months to start with.

Indo ran some article yesterday about Aviva warning of kids on parents policy where in fact the kids were the main drivers of the vehicle and tAviva not covering them as a result.
http://www.independent.ie/business/...ot-be-covered-on-parents-policy-35078203.html

Seems to be a common thing across the market recently that insurers are clamping down on "fronting" - e.g. parent takes out policy in their name with the son/daughter as a named driver but in practice the son/daughter and not the parent is the main driver. Might be coincidental that this happens when the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission is sniffing around for signs of a cartel...? ;)

@ClubMan, I think this is what happens when they have to prove that they are in fact running an insurance business and not a slot machine powered by client premiums. Most of the others seem to have stopped the "fronting" scams some time ago.

@siucra05 the AVIVA deal sounds good.

@ClubMan, I think this is what happens when they have to prove that they are in fact running an insurance business and not a slot machine powered by client premiums. Most of the others seem to have stopped the "fronting" scams some time ago.
You mean Aviva are late to the game in clamping down on fronting?
How do insurers detect this without following people around?!
(Genuine question and not condoning/defending the practice).

You have to consider who will be accompanying her when she is driving her own car. She can't drive unaccompanied on a learner permit.

If it's going to be you,then a car of her own would seem a waste, as you can't be in two places at once do your car will be unused.

Insurers have always had an issue with 'fronting', I think Aviva have recently decided to go through their book to see if they can remove these risks from their book if possible, thus the media blitz about it. With technology insurers are better able to detect patterns of fronting (a parent insuring an older, smaller cc vehicle with a young driver would be one flag), but no doubt there will be some genuine babies thrown out with the bathwater.

I've heard Boxymo (AIG underwritten policy that has a GPS tracker installed) can be good for young drivers.

Insurers have always had an issue with 'fronting'
I see - thanks. I didn't realise that it was always an issue or something that they looked at/for.
I just assumed that it was something new given the recent media coverage.

Back