Other What is 'best buy' phone insurance?

Welfarite

i gave my son an Iphone as xmas present; i didn't take the insurance option (around €16 per month?) offered at purchase time, preferring to check out my options. So here i am ...
  • What are my options? Can it be included in house insurance?
  • What insurers do this?
  • What are 'best buys' out there?
  • What 'conditions' to watch out for?

Imo Welfarite phone insurance is a waste of money. At €16 a month you would be paying €192 a year for cover. The major cover provided would be theft so check out the restrictions first, particularly excesses and exclusions - I bought an itouch recently (basically the same thing as iphone cept it's for music) and it cost me around €260 - if I lost it or it was nicked I would be out of pocket less than €70 over and above the premium - it just doesn't seem worth it.Also, I had a problem with the itouch and Apple replaced it no quibbles at all. If I were you I 'd stick the €16 pm in the bank .Insurers make a fortune on these types of policies.

Thanks, Horusd, i was weighing that up too! From looking at some posts here, it would seem cracked screens are the main replacement issue (apart from loss/theft) adn they seem to be around 50 quid to replace. When you think that house insurance can be in the region of 2-300 per annum, 192 a year is crazy for one item! My son has a good 'tracvk record' on phones anyhow, his last one is three years old, battered and bruised but working! needless to say, Once I make a decision not to insure, he'll lose it!

Fully agree that it's a waste of money.

Once I make a decision not to insure, he'll lose it!

I would guess it's the opposite. If it's insured, he might be more careless. If he loses it, don't replace it.

Not sure if its applies to policies here but the programme on BBC1 where they highlight what they class as scams or rip-offs showed a case recently where a guy purchased this expensive insurance. He thought he had the small print digested but when he was rushing to get off a train he left the phone behind him. When he went back 5 mins later it was gone. They said he was negligent and would not meet the claim. They mentioned something also about it would only have been covered in his home :confused:

Either way when the case was nighlighted in the media they met the claim.

I agree with Brendan. I have never lost a phone in my life. Teach people to take care of their possessions and let them realise that if they lose or break the phone that they will have to work to earn money to replace to buy new one.

Back