What insurance to get?

T

tiamaria

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the best option of insurance is
Ideally I would like to get health insurance, life insurance and some type of insurance that covers you if you are out of work due to accident or redundancy. Will one insurer cover all 3?

We have had bad luck recently when i had an accident and couldn't work and wasn't entitled to any money from anyone (I was travelling 2 years ago so didn't have enough stamps).
I really don't want to be in a situation like that again!
Also my baby was in hospital last year which cost a few hundred euro.

I think you'll find you'll get the best value if you shop around for the various type of cover you are looking for rather than getting 1 company to do it all.

For health insurance you have 3 options; VHI, Quinn and Hibernian.

For life assurance I'd shop around as there are many online insurance brokers offering cheaper life assurance deals online than you will get anywhere else. Googling life assurance will bring up a list of them for you.

Accident cover can be included as an option on life assurance policies or you could go for income protection cover that covers any illnesses that keep you out of work for more than 13 weeks. Both Friends First and Irish Life offer income protection cover, again shop around online and you will probably find online brokers offering deals on this too.

Redundancy cover will only cover involuntary redundancy as far as I know and you really need to read the fine print on these types of policies to ensure you know exactly what they will pay out on or not. Again a google search on redundancy cover will find you brokers that can provide you with quotes. Note if this hasnt already increased in price, it will soon as insurers are bound to be hit with more claims over the next year.

Hope this helps.

Thanks StevieC,
I didn't know where to start!
That helps a lot.

Back