What In Wexford?

M

MoonUnit

WHAT IN WEXFORD ... sorry about the spelling mistake .. happens the best of us i guess :D

Ok, so myself and my partner are going to Wexford for teh bank holiday weekend .. without the kids .. hotels booked and all that ... just we.ve both never been before as shocking as it might sound .. anyone got any suggestions on where to go and what to see for a Mid 20s couple!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Whta In Wexford??

Best bet is to do a search on the forum (link is on top right). There was a relatively long post for weekends in Wexford as recent as yesterday, and have been others in the past.

New Ross is interesting esp. the emigrant ship. A visit to Slieve Coilte, if the weather is fine, is a great walk. It's opposite the JFK Arboretum, so if you're fond of trees it's a twofer.

Hi I would recommend a walk in jfk arboretum its a huge 252 hectares of fabulous trees and ponds really lovely you can also vist jfk great grandfathers house. To eat in wexford town I would recommend fordes, fab food !

Re: What In Wexford??

I found the hertigate centre tour very good. Must do the tour though no good just walking around.
Of course if you have the weather, the beaches in Wexford are hard to beat.

Are you staying in Wexford town?

JFK park is ok if you are into walking etc but it is a bit of a spin from Wexford (20-25 miles). If you are down for the full w/end you could easily spend one full day going around all the narrow streets in Wexford shopping, browsing etc etc. Curracloe beach (where Saving Private Ryan was shot on location) is approx. 5 miles from town and is really beautiful- 8 miles of golden sand.

Bars etc for mid 20's- The Stores is generally where it happens late, while The Crown Bar, Chocolate, La Speranza, & The Sky &The Ground are also very good.

Food- Riverbank House does a great lunch. For dinner- Fordes, Mange Tout, & Taste are all very good & centrally located in town. The Lobster Pot is a quirky little seafood place that is also quite good but is in Carne (12 miles). I am biased but Wexford is almost the eating & drinking capital of the East coast so I wouldn't worry about finding good bars or restaurants.

If you just want to chill out there are loads of fast food joints- KFC, Burger Mac etc and Leisure Max which has bowling etc etc.

All the best & I hope you have a great time. Only tip I'll give you is that the "Sunny South East" is not as bloody sunny as we would like everyone to beleive.

Curracloe beach (where Saving Private Ryan was shot on location)

Wasn't it just the opening beach scenes ? and wasn't it Ballinesker ?:)

Ballinesker is just an extension of Curracloe Beach? Raven Point-Collotons Gap-Curracloe-Ballinesker?

Ballinesker is just an extension of Curracloe Beach? Raven Point-Collotons Gap-Curracloe-Ballinesker?

For that matter one could argue that Brittas bay is an extension of Curracloe ?:rolleyes:

Back