What factors slow down broadband speed?

Zapatista

Hello all,

I got really frustrated recently with how bad our broadband connection seems to be so we upgraded from 8Mbps to 24Mbps assuming this would make a distinct improvement. We also got a new router as the old one had been playing up, which can't have helped. We've had the new router about two days now and the faster connection about a week but the connection still seems really poor. I've tested the connection using a few online tools and it's only reading about 0.4Mbps at the most. I can't understand why it's so slow. The only thing I can think of is the number of other networks in the vacinity. Generally there are about 9 other wireless networks which show up when I search. Can this affect the speed of my connection?

Cheers,

Zapa.

I certainly am no expert but do you by any chance have a Sky Box connected to a phone line?

I find that I have trouble if the Box is connected. I think sometimes cordless phones etc.. can affect the speed too.

I certainly am no expert but do you by any chance have a Sky Box connected to a phone line?

I find that I have trouble if the Box is connected. I think sometimes cordless phones etc.. can affect the speed too.

No Sky box but we do have a wireless phone plugged in. Perhaps this is affecting it. It's very frustrating... OK just checked it again now and it's 2.4Mbps which is significantly better than it's been on average today and yesterday but still not great really...

Which provider is it? Have you been in touch with them about the problem?

Back