Key Post What are the options for shopping around for car insurance?

Most welcome dub_nerd, Yes they should really advertise, it is as easy as that but of course I would be interested in your follow through experience.

Most welcome dub_nerd, Yes they should really advertise, it is as easy as that but of course I would be interested in your follow through experience.

Well, I just went back on the site, swapped my phone and email for the real values and same result -- €350.45 (+1% for using a credit card). Allegedly my insurance cert will shortly be winging its way in the post! I will ring them Monday to add breakdown assist for €26.

Really quite unbelievable, can't quite believe it until the cert arrives. Was looking at this year's renewal being up by €160, instead it's down by €70.

Many thanks again for the tip. I'd never have found them myself by casual surfing.

My car insurance renewal came through the post yesterday and quoted 620, up from 560 last year. Last years 560 was a jump from 420 the year before. I was told the reasons for the jumps was due to rate increases across the industry. Im with Allianz through a broker.

So I phoned around a few places and Zurich came back with 570. I called back the broker and said Zurich came in at 570 and they have come back to me with 510!

I cant make head nor tail of all of this. How can their quote go from 620 to 510 at the drop of a hat?

So I got my renewal notice yesterday:

123.ie Third party F&T €300 excess €420 via renewing online (€466 otherwise)

FBD Third party F& T €426

Caoga: Comprehensive (car worth €3,000) €608 - Don't do Third Party only. Online only allows for cars less than 10 years old. mine is 2005. But gave me a quote over the phone. Asked if I could add a named driver to reduce the premium - told only if I had a spouse.

I don't drive much. Around 4,000 km a year. I don't suppose that there is anyone who will give a lower premium for that?

I'd say you're doing pretty well Brendan. There are a number of insurers that won't quote for cars over 10 years old.

Went back to Glennons whom I was with last year.

They quoted me €508 from Zurich - with breakdown cover , windscreen cover etc.

I added a friend who has her own car and they reduced the cost to €466 and added home start.

Interestingly, they were the only company to ask me how many miles I drove a year.

Brendan

2 suggestions.
1. Try An Post (they use AIG and Zurich). If they're any way close, phone up and see if they'll better the best quote you got. I've got a discount 2 years running.
2. Try Aviva directly. My mam has fully comp on 12 year old car for less than 300 (rural address). They will quote up to 15 years.

So I got my renewal notice yesterday:

123.ie Third party F&T €300 excess €420 via renewing online (€466 otherwise)

FBD Third party F& T €426

Caoga: Comprehensive (car worth €3,000) €608 - Don't do Third Party only. Online only allows for cars less than 10 years old. mine is 2005. But gave me a quote over the phone. Asked if I could add a named driver to reduce the premium - told only if I had a spouse.

I don't drive much. Around 4,000 km a year. I don't suppose that there is anyone who will give a lower premium for that?

Try Ulster Bank. I've been with them for car insurance (I'm a customer) for a few years now. My quote this year for a 161 Corolla was €530 for fully comp with one named driver and I drive around 40000 km a year

I would never have thought of them. I associate An Post with the inefficient and rude post office staff. But I will give them a go.

Brendan
Just checked, mine, fully comp, was 465 which was best I could get. They have their own specific product with AIG so for example key insurance is included.

It's a call centre in Athlone, and they're very nice.

its4women.ie were cheapest for me. And i work in the business so i dont like going elsewhere. :(

1. Try An Post (they use AIG and Zurich). If they're any way close, phone up and see if they'll better the best quote you got. I've got a discount 2 years running.

I decided that I had done enough shopping around, but said I would try An Post on the basis of your recommendation. It's website is not functioning properly. I presume that it doesn't work with Firefox. I put in my address and got a message: Can't find your address.

upload_2017-8-17_10-11-19.png

I rang them. They told me that there was something wrong with my computer. :)

I asked why they didn't allow people to enter the postcode and they said that they were working on it.

They too asked me how many km I drive a year, so I was hopeful that I might get a cheap quote, but they came in at €632.

I will just stick with 123.ie

What I would like to do is to list out all the options for people to get insurance.

Then list the ones which might be good value for particular categories e.g.

Caoga for people over 50 with a car less than 10 years old
itsforwomen for women
Coverina click for young drivers

and which to avoid
chill.ie - they are expensive and will inundate you with calls even if you opt out.

I asked why they didn't allow people to enter the postcode and they said that they were working on it

To use Eircodes, they'd need to pay a licence fee (albeit only €3,000pa) to Eircode, and they opposed the introduction of postcodes as it facilitates their competition in the post/parcel delivery business.

While looking at a particular brand of car in UK is showed what insurance bands the different spec cars fell into

I'd like to see that idea of insurance class being rolled out here, it would be useful in guiding car purchase decisions.

To use Eircodes, they'd need to pay a licence fee (albeit only €3,000pa) to Eircode, and they opposed the introduction of postcodes as it facilitates their competition in the post/parcel delivery business.

Thanks Leo. I just assumed that they were actually behind it.

Brendan

I have received a very competitive quote through Chill from Ivernia Insurance. Does anybody know anything about them or have any experience with them. I see they have only started trading in 2017 but assume they would have to be fully bonded and regulated to trade here.

I have ncb of 30 yrs + and including wife as named driver.

Chill is a broker.
Ivernia seems to be some sort of managing agent.
The underwriter is La Parisienne Assurances

Here is an excerpt from an article by Niall Brady in the Sunday Times back in May

La Parisienne Assurances, France’s oldest insurance company, is to enter the Irish motor insurance market in partnership with brothers Seamus and Padraig Lynch, owners of the online broker Chill.ie.

Under the deal, the Lynchs’ company Ivernia Insurance will act as the local agent for La Parisienne, selling cover on its behalf to customers of Chill.ie and other insurance brokers.

Aidan Cassells, a former managing director for Axa in Ireland, is Ivernia’s executive chairman, while fellow former Axa executive Seamus Merity is chief executive.

Chill has been criticised for ignoring requests not to call people. And I experienced this myself, so unless the quote was really cheap, I wouldn't have anything to do with them.

Not sure how a claim would be handled.

Brendan

Last edited:
2 suggestions.
2. Try Aviva directly. My mam has fully comp on 12 year old car for less than 300 (rural address). They will quote up to 15 years.
I just had An Post insurance ring me, I got a quote from them last year, my renewal date in the next couple of weeks so they're on the ball. Fully comp with AVIVA €1,395 which I politely declined after regaining consciousness. That price is plus 7% finance if I want to pay monthly. Insurance rapidly approaching the value of my 2004 1.9 TDI.

AIB/AXA €585 fully comp, my current insurer has the business, pay monthly, no finance charge, automatic renewal. Simplz.

Back