Western Union for buying from US

OhPinchy

I am travelling to the US next week and want to pick up some electronics that are not available over here (Windows Media Center Extenders) and have found a website in the US with good prices.

Problem is they do not accept international credit cards. The guy got back to me and seemed pretty helpful and said “The problem with shipping to you on a business trip is that if something goes wrong and you are not their to receive it, it could be a big mess. Also, we cannot accept international credit cards. You could pay us through western union when you are here and then we can
ship wherever you want to and there is no risk on our end.”

So I could send the payment via western union either from Ireland or while I am over there and they can deliver it to me at my hotel. I agree there is no risk with this from their side but what comeback do I have? Would I be able to prove I paid them if the goods don’t show up?

My gut says the guy sounded decent and I’m eager to get my hands on these bits of kit but just want to know does this sound too risky?

sounds dubious to me. As he says, there is no risk on their end, and as you've highlighted, you probably have no comeback.

I would be happier with the credit card. I thought the issue was shipping to international addresses, not accepting international cards. There might be a problem if the shipping & billing address don't match.
If it were me, I'd look for another website that took the card, and pay the few extra dollars if necessary.

WU make you sign a disclaimer if the value of your WU transaction is over €500 . I suspect that the small print on their form also has a disclaimer. in short if you get stiffed, WU are not responsible.

Back