Web Design Quote

Hmm, I have a web design and development company www.bemoore.com.

Price does sound excessive. If you like I can quote you.

I tried rentacoder.com once to help me out with a project. Within hours all my sites were under attack from God only knows where, and I lost a day's work getting them all protected again. So maybe it's cheaper but cost is not only measured in money.

Bob

ivorystraws said:
Satan's Bed,

If you want to even consider this option to outsource your website design and development or just even want to gather requirements by viewing other people's web development projects, try checking out the following;

1. http://www.guru.com
Guru.com is the world's largest online marketplace for freelance talent.

2. http://www.smarterwork.com
Find Service Providers at the Database of Certified Service Providers

3. http://www.freelance.com
Freelance.com provides the fastest and most efficient means of identifying qualified professionals for project based needs or long-term activities anywhere in the world, anytime.

I've use elance quite a lot, not just purely for web development fut for graphic design and various engineering designs. Also, you can get support and backup from the vendor you choose to develop your site as I have have got this in the past. Just include it as a requirement in your spec.
Any problems or if you've any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Hi Bemoore.

I tried rentacoder.com once to help me out with a project. Within hours all my sites were under attack from God only knows where, and I lost a day's work getting them all protected again. So maybe it's cheaper but cost is not only measured in money.

Sorry about the issues you faced with RAC. For all our benefit, would you be able to elaborate on the problems you faced after posting there.
It's just that over the last 3 years I have used it for 36 seperate projects, some big some small, and never experienced one issue relating to security.

Yes, on a similar note, I have been using elance for the past 2 years with very satisfactory results but each to their own I suppose.

Hi Satan's Bed,
I'm a freelance web designer with 6 years experience in these kind of sites.

Check out ww.greystonesitservices.com or give me a call on 0879783348 if you would be interested in another option.

Thanks,
Rich

First I think you should get a breakdown of costs saying a flat 25 days is rubbish? Basically how many people, and mini project plan. So maybe you can remove luxury items. Also tie down your requirements early as changing your mind or them thinking something else will be costly (just like building a house)

Chances are the company has already developed a web-site like yours already (if they haven't then you shouldn't be going there) and 80% of web-stuff is re-usable (if they say not well I'd move on).

From my experience the most time consuming aspects are graphics and if you want some kind of complex be-spoke functionality (a shopping cart is not complex) .

I use www.onsight.ie, they are very good and I'm sure could show you a portfolio. they have worked with on a number of various projects over the years, but are often quite busy. I'm sure though you already have hundreds of offers.

Anyhow no matter who does it as them for a project plan and breakdown, including testing and roll-out. Also make sure ye are both both speaking the same language and any issues you have a documented, and both parties have access to this.

Hi Satan's Bed,
Not an expert but have got a couple of sites developed and most I have paid is €2400. Your quote sounds very dear to me!

SineWave said:
Hi Bemoore.

Sorry about the issues you faced with RAC. For all our benefit, would you be able to elaborate on the problems you faced after posting there.
It's just that over the last 3 years I have used it for 36 seperate projects, some big some small, and never experienced one issue relating to security.

Problems were - may have been coincidence but I doubt it:
1. Feedback forms were targeted for SPAM hijacking (OK should have had them protected earlier I'll admit)
2. Big increase in port scans.

Also, assuming you have a profitable website, how do you know you are not giving it to criminal gangs God knows where to work on? I know it may be fine, but at least working with people who you have the address of and have actually spoken to and met is less risky IMHO

Within hours all my sites were under attack from God only knows where, and I lost a day's work getting them all protected again.

Conflicts a bit with;

Problems were - may have been coincidence but I doubt it:
1. Feedback forms were targeted for SPAM hijacking (OK should have had them protected earlier I'll admit)
2. Big increase in port scans.

Thats £400 sterling per day - Almost €600!!! It was way out by any stretch of the imagination.

S.B.
Most high-end Dublin design firms charge between €80 - €120 per hour. Average day is charged at around €700. I agree £10k is way too high but the daily charge is just about right (that's assuming they are a top-end company ;) )

i haven't seen any mention of the proposed technologies involved, so we can't really comment on the daily rate, but the 25 days 'seems' excessive - does this include them populating the catalog into a db? If so can you get someone else to do this? Have them build an easy to use admin console to populate the data, then get some students etc. to do the monkey work.

MAte I used to work as a web-designer, the reason I stopped is profit margins are coming down. People will not pay that sort of money anymore.

Off the top of my head I'd say you are looking at (for a TOP quality site) something like £50-100 a page give or take. Meaning if you had a site with 5 pages ( contact, about, news etc), and 10 pages of a catalogue you'd be looking at something like 750 - 1500

Off the top of my head I'd say you are looking at (for a TOP quality site) something like £50-100 a page give or take. Meaning if you had a site with 5 pages ( contact, about, news etc), and 10 pages of a catalogue you'd be looking at something like 750 - 1500

I know a lot of web designers and i dont know any who charge per page. Most charge much more then that.

Back