Want to travel, need to clear debts/save

Getting your priorities right is saving and then travelling.
you know normally I would agree with you in relation to debt and travel..

From what I can gather I do think the OP has her priorities in order, she is young, wants to travel, has alot of debt (is paying it off) and want to go back to collage and study (which should improve income)..

I do think it is important to travel, ok the two holidays given what the OP is paying off in loans is ambitious - but as I said I have a friend that eats porridge for 3 months to get the money to travel!!!

I spent my 20's studying and very little travel, then 30's saving for house, and now I am paying too high a mortgage!!!:( If I had my life back again, I would probably take life a little less seriously and travel more!
P..

But you're not saving, in fact you're not even paying one of your debts off at all. Getting your priorities right is saving and then travelling. Getting educated should be entertainment and living enough for you right now.

How much have you estimated each of the trips will cost?

What? I'm paying off all my debts. These debts will be cleared a year and a half latest!!! Did you read my post? I was looking for advice about where I can make cutbacks to start saving.

you know normally I would agree with you in relation to debt and travel..

From what I can gather I do think the OP has her priorities in order, she is young, wants to travel, has alot of debt (is paying it off) and want to go back to collage and study (which should improve income)..

I do think it is important to travel, ok the two holidays given what the OP is paying off in loans is ambitious - but as I said I have a friend that eats porridge for 3 months to get the money to travel!!!

I spent my 20's studying and very little travel, then 30's saving for house, and now I am paying too high a mortgage!!!:( If I had my life back again, I would probably take life a little less seriously and travel more!
P..

Thanks Pinky,

I am already back in college and have made a dint in my debts which I am proud of. I know the holidays are ambitious and may not be possible this year which is why i'm looking for suggestions on where I could save or get a few extra bob. If I wanted to borrow to fund these holidays I could understand people saying I don't have my priorities right.

You don't say what the loans or bank repayments are for. Are any of them credit cards? Are they personal loans, fixed term or variable?

Ulster Bank OD: 624: Not clearing at the moment

It was this I was referring to. I also missed the savings of 1.5K at the bottom of the expenses. My mistake on that.

I can't see where you can make other savings other than doing the porridge route that Pinky bear referred to. I did it myself when I was younger but it was spaghetti hoops on toast instead and walking everywhere to save transport costs. Didn't have luxuries like cable either. Any travel I did was to work for college fees etc. Also haven't done Oz yet, will do so when kids are reared and we have the time. So I do see it from Pinky bear's viewpoint also.

It was this I was referring to. I also missed the savings of 1.5K at the bottom of the expenses. My mistake on that.

I can't see where you can make other savings other than doing the porridge route that Pinky bear referred to. I did it myself when I was younger but it was spaghetti hoops on toast instead and walking everywhere to save transport costs. Didn't have luxuries like cable either. Any travel I did was to work for college fees etc. Also haven't done Oz yet, will do so when kids are reared and we have the time. So I do see it from Pinky bear's viewpoint also.

yeah i'm not paying a set amount back every month on the OD it's an interest free one so I just throw a few bob off it every now and again, it's €650 but i'm concentrating on the high interest debts at the moment.

yeah i'm not paying a set amount back every month on the OD it's an interest free one so I just throw a few bob off it every now and again, it's €650 but i'm concentrating on the high interest debts at the moment.

How can an overdraft from Ulster Bank be interest free?

Your trip to Australia even with free accommodation will cost you minimum €2000. Your trip to New York will cost, what, €1000?.

The only way that you can make a saving to fund these trips is to stop paying off one of the loans as there doesn't appear to be any more fat to trim. Is this what you want? To be back in square one?

Next year there will be something else that "has" to be done with more debt accumulating alongside.

How can an overdraft from Ulster Bank be interest free?

Your trip to Australia even with free accommodation will cost you minimum €2000. Your trip to New York will cost, what, €1000?.

The only way that you can make a saving to fund these trips is to stop paying off one of the loans as there doesn't appear to be any more fat to trim. Is this what you want? To be back in square one?

Next year there will be something else that "has" to be done with more debt accumulating alongside.

Are you for real did you stop and read my post did I not say I don't know if this possible, was wondering if anyone could make suggestions on where I can make cuts to "possibly" do "one" of these trips. Where did I say I definitely am going on these trips even if it means being back in square one and getting into more debt. It's a student Overdraft. Where did I say "has" to be done.

Are you for real did you stop and read my post....

I can see this thread is going in the same direction as an earlier thread from the OP:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=134009

Danielle24 - if you dont want to listen to what people are telling you and you respond to posters suggestions in such a rude manner - why do you bother opening threads asking for advice?

In your other thread you just wanted people to tell you what you wanted to hear - and its the same here.

Im with the posters who think you should clear the debt first, then worry about travel. Both trips you are talking about are very high end luxury holidays - with your level of personal debt it would make more sense (imo) to clear the debt first.

Are you for real did you stop and read my post did I not say I don't know if this possible, was wondering if anyone could make suggestions on where I can make cuts to "possibly" do "one" of these trips. Where did I say I definitely am going on these trips even if it means being back in square one and getting into more debt. It's a student Overdraft. Where did I say "has" to be done.

Wow! You really haven't changed one bit have you? Agree with Danielle or else suffer her venom.

You kind of said it "has" to be done here. "Not only that but I might not be able to get out of the New York trip"

I think the previous poster was correct. The only way that you can afford both or one of the holidays is by not paying back one of your loans. I think back to square one sums it up all right.

Slurry Slump actually helped you out in your other thread by giving you a link to a website that deals in cheap fares to Australia and you say to him in this thread "Are you for real". He was trying to help you!

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=149229

Wow! You really haven't changed one bit have you? Agree with Danielle or else suffer her venom.

You kind of said it "has" to be done here. "Not only that but I might not be able to get out of the New York trip"

I think the previous poster was correct. The only way that you can afford both or one of the holidays is by not paying back one of your loans. I think back to square one sums it up all right.

I might not how does that equate to "has" to? I don't appreciate your last comment one bit, i've made a serious effort to make a dint in my debts and get back to college, your coment is really offensive.

I can see this thread is going in the same direction as an earlier thread from the OP:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=134009

Danielle24 - if you dont want to listen to what people are telling you and you respond to posters suggestions in such a rude manner - why do you bother opening threads asking for advice?

In your other thread you just wanted people to tell you what you wanted to hear - and its the same here.

Im with the posters who think you should clear the debt first, then worry about travel. Both trips you are talking about are very high end luxury holidays - with your level of personal debt it would make more sense (imo) to clear the debt first.

I simply asked about the possibility of saving for these holidays and people are jumping down my neck telling me I haven't got my priorites right talking about being back to square one and getting into more debt when I never once mentioned anything about getting into more debt.

I simply asked about the possibility of saving for these holidays and people are jumping down my neck telling me I haven't got my priorites right talking about being back to square one and getting into more debt when I never once mentioned anything about getting into more debt.

Look, you asked for opnions, youre getting opinions. You are not going to agree with every opinion you get, and people have different sets of priorities in life, hence some people will prioritise clearing debt, others will prioritise other things.

The key thing here is that just because you dont agree with someone elses opinion is no reason to be rude to them or smart with them - when you are the one who asked for the advice in the first place.
You need to learn how to take constructive criticism!!

Your posts are coming across as though you just want to shoot down any suggestion that doesnt match with what you want to do, and there is a constant round of you justifying why its ok for you to do it - despite you being the one to ask was it a good idea to do it in the first place.

You say you are proud of making the dint you have made in your debt - great, happy for you! But - you should never have had that level of debt in the first place at your age so you might want to temper that pride a bit and remember how you ended up in this position.

Now youre talking about really nice holidays that anyone would be lucky to go on - and it just seems like you havent actually changed your attitude at all.

Dont forget that youre getting advice for free here and people are actually trying to help you.

Unfortunately you are so angry you are not reading what people are saying. You asked how you could make savings so you could possibly go on two rather expensive holidays. You listed your outgoings. One poster said that you had trimmed all of the fat, that there were no more savings to be made unless you defaulted on your loan repayments. This is true. You jumped down his throat for saying this. Can you not understand this?

What are the alternatives? Cut off your cable? Stop paying rent? Dump your rubbish in your neighbours bins? Stop taking medication?

It was suggested use more recycling efforts.. You have no room to store, you say!
Get cheaper medication from Spain.....ignored this suggestion completly.

O.K. This is what you need to do. Go on holidays to Australia and go on holidays to New York. Enjoy yourself. Go ahead, because you deserve it. You have paid a pittance off your loans and all your friends are enjoying the sun in Australia and you are not. You are stuck like the rest of us in cold, miserable Ireland.

And when you come back, come crying to us again because you got a legal letter from your bank...

How much do you think trips to such long haul destinations are going to cost?

An important question and nicely avoided by the OP. Why?

Because Slurry put his finger on it.

"Your trip to Australia even with free accommodation will cost you minimum €2000. Your trip to New York will cost, what, €1000".

Based on the information given the only way to make a substantial saving is by moving in to free rental accommodation. Move back home.

Unfortunately you are so angry you are not reading what people are saying. You asked how you could make savings so you could possibly go on two rather expensive holidays. You listed your outgoings. One poster said that you had trimmed all of the fat, that there were no more savings to be made unless you defaulted on your loan repayments. This is true. You jumped down his throat for saying this. Can you not understand this?

What are the alternatives? Cut off your cable? Stop paying rent? Dump your rubbish in your neighbours bins? Stop taking medication?

It was suggested use more recycling efforts.. You have no room to store, you say!
Get cheaper medication from Spain.....ignored this suggestion completly.

O.K. This is what you need to do. Go on holidays to Australia and go on holidays to New York. Enjoy yourself. Go ahead, because you deserve it. You have paid a pittance off your loans and all your friends are enjoying the sun in Australia and you are not. You are stuck like the rest of us in cold, miserable Ireland.

And when you come back, come crying to us again because you got a legal letter from your bank...

I never get any letters from the bank, this is why I get annoyed people with their melodramatics. I only asked for advice on how I could save money do people think it's visable to go on on one, two or none of these holidays, where did I say anything about not paying my loans, I've paid over 11k off my loans how do you call that pittance?

An important question and nicely avoided by the OP. Why?

Because Slurry put his finger on it.

"Your trip to Australia even with free accommodation will cost you minimum €2000. Your trip to New York will cost, what, €1000".

Based on the information given the only way to make a substantial saving is by moving in to free rental accommodation. Move back home.

Flights to Australia - €943. Going for 3 weeks could live off my wages and maybe bring a few hundred extra.

Flights to New York - €465. Not sure how long for.

I think in quite aggressive manner you've all made it very clear that this is not viable and I won't be able to save for it so thanks for that.

That's irrelevant. That's not what my post was asking about?

The question was very relevant. I am sure that pj111 was only trying to find out if you are paying high interest on your credit card debt before advising you to re-finance this part of your debt at a lower rate of interest. Maybe he could have advised you how to go about this?

Back